PSU for Green WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I wanted your opinion on a psu for this config:

Amd x2 4850e -2.5Ghz - 45w am2+

2GB ram

board asus m3a78-pro with onboard hd3200 and 1000mbits lan with win2003 drivers.

system disk seagate 500gb 32mb sata2

four WD green 1TB drives 16bm sata2 for the pool

1 WD 750gb drive for backup of the database backups

1 usb 2.0 WD my book for backup of the shares.

no dvd-rom or cd-rom

case antec three hundred

Psu - I want a eficient psu with enough power to keep this system running with a max of 9 hard-drive (for future expansion), with the less noise possible

I was thinking about the new CORSAIR VX-450W or the CORSAIR VX-550W.

i dont know how much power the asus board uses, but can i use the corsair vx-450w with the config ,6 HD and up to 9 hard-drives?

By what i've read this psu's are good , low noise and high eficiency. Will the 450w do?

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 10:41 AM

Answers

• The 450 watt PSU will probably be adequate for your initial build. It's extremely marginal for the final build-out. You are likely to be short of drive power connectors with either PSU.

With 9 drives in the system, you should not worry too much about noise. 9 drives will be loud all by themselves, and the cooling required will also not be quiet.
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 10:15 PM

All replies

• The 450 watt PSU will probably be adequate for your initial build. It's extremely marginal for the final build-out. You are likely to be short of drive power connectors with either PSU.

With 9 drives in the system, you should not worry too much about noise. 9 drives will be loud all by themselves, and the cooling required will also not be quiet.
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 10:15 PM
  • lol dude honestly you could go w/ somthing even smaller than that. i have 2 servers right now my secondary one has a 200 watt in it and it has  8 hard drive and 6 of them are the western digital 1tb green hard drives (i plan to put more in it) a quad core q6600 w/ a asus board 4 fans 4 hot swap drive bays for some of my hard drive that take a lil power and a dvd drive.so with the 450 you will have plenty of power. right now when im working on the server i can hear my psu struggling to keep up with the power demands it will make a high pitch squeal. and i probably should upgrade it but o well what can you do

also here is a calculator if u want to get an accurate read on what you should have
    http://www.silentmods.com/modding/PSU_Watts_Calculator.html

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 7:30 AM
  • oh and ken is also right will all my hard drive and fans to cool everything it sounds like a jet engine when i start it up. but youll get use to it. some times i turn it off and its strangley quiet...to quite...its like in the movies where you about to be killed...
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 7:38 AM