none
Microsoft Securty Essentials and WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any reason a person couldn't make a shared drive on Windows 7RC x64 PC to the shares on the WHS so they can be scanned too? MSE works great on my Win7 PC and would like it to use it to scan the WHS shares from time to time. But I have read here that WHS requires a special anti-virus package then desktop PCs do. Any reason a person shouldn't do this? Since I am the only person who uses my WHS I don't really need anti-virus software installed on it.

fasthair
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 8:42 PM

Answers

• Hello,
    the reason for using Antivirus software specially designed for Windows Home Server is mainly determined by the fact, how Windows Home Server stores the data.
    There are tombstones, and there are one or two real file locations, dependend from the duplication status.
    Not each AV program would handle this properly (makes no sense to take the tombstone to quarantine while the file itself remains on the server, or remove the file(s), while the tombstone is still there). Both would give some confusion or even make Drive Extender run instable.

Installing an Antivirus program on your WHS is finally your choice. It is recommended, but not mandatory. The risk level of your system cannot be determined from anybody else.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by fasthair Tuesday, September 22, 2009 2:13 AM
    Monday, September 21, 2009 7:17 AM

All replies

• Hello,
    the reason for using Antivirus software specially designed for Windows Home Server is mainly determined by the fact, how Windows Home Server stores the data.
    There are tombstones, and there are one or two real file locations, dependend from the duplication status.
    Not each AV program would handle this properly (makes no sense to take the tombstone to quarantine while the file itself remains on the server, or remove the file(s), while the tombstone is still there). Both would give some confusion or even make Drive Extender run instable.

Installing an Antivirus program on your WHS is finally your choice. It is recommended, but not mandatory. The risk level of your system cannot be determined from anybody else.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by fasthair Tuesday, September 22, 2009 2:13 AM
    Monday, September 21, 2009 7:17 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback. I hadn't really thought about the tombstones kind of "fooling" the scanner and not being able to maybe delete the real file and or the duplicate if a person where using it on the share.

As far as not using any AV it's pretty easy for me. I am the only one who can get into my WHS. So the only files I put on it are my files of  photos, music and movie I rip there isn't much worry about malware. I don't use file sharing sites and stay off the webs red light district. Plus I run with a limited user account on my desktop and I do use MSE. They only time I have remote access running on my WHS is when I'm traveling so the chances of it getting attacked are slim.

I know the risks of not running anti-malware but a properly configured system and a smart user go a long way toward safe computing.

Greetings from Iowa, USA.
    fasthair
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 2:11 AM