Possible to force FULL backups each time? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client who rotates external harddrives offsite on a regular basis.

Obviously, incremental is not a solution in this case.  The goal is to be able to do a full system restore from either of the two external drives.  The only way to guarantee this is to toss the idea of incremental backups out the window, unless onecare is a lot smarter than I think - something I sincerely doubt, since onecare is so primitive it doesn't allow you to back up to an external eSATA drive without a kludgy workaround - note to Microsoft, eSATA is much faster than USB 2.0, think about it.

Also, why doesn't onecare allow you to select specified files or folders for backup?  Or does it, am I just missing something?

Any ideas?

-Steve

Friday, December 12, 2008 6:01 AM

Answers

• Hi, Steve.
    Well, switching hard drives *will* force a new, full backup. Unfortunately, that also means configuring backup every time you want to run it as it only knows about the last destination. You should be able to update the backup plan each time you want to run backup by simply changing the destination and saving the revised plan. You'd do this after you plugged the external drive in.
    As for file selections, the design seems odd, but it is actually meant to simplify things. For the "what" part of the plan, the entire drive is scanned for files to be backed up, based on the types selected, with the exception of \Windows and \Program Files. If you want to exclude other files or folders, you can add those exclusions. If you only want to backup a specific folder and subfolders, you would exclude all other folders and make sure that the files types are all selected. It still won't backup disallowed file types from those remaining locations, but it has then narrowed down the backup to only those folders you wish backed up.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, December 12, 2008 5:05 PM

All replies

• Hi, Steve.
    Well, switching hard drives *will* force a new, full backup. Unfortunately, that also means configuring backup every time you want to run it as it only knows about the last destination. You should be able to update the backup plan each time you want to run backup by simply changing the destination and saving the revised plan. You'd do this after you plugged the external drive in.
    As for file selections, the design seems odd, but it is actually meant to simplify things. For the "what" part of the plan, the entire drive is scanned for files to be backed up, based on the types selected, with the exception of \Windows and \Program Files. If you want to exclude other files or folders, you can add those exclusions. If you only want to backup a specific folder and subfolders, you would exclude all other folders and make sure that the files types are all selected. It still won't backup disallowed file types from those remaining locations, but it has then narrowed down the backup to only those folders you wish backed up.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, December 12, 2008 5:05 PM
  • Interesting - if the drive letter doesn't change.do I still have to modify the backup plan?

Let's say I have two  external hard drives, and I call them both Z:\ - will it save a new backup each time I put it in?  Also, how does OneCare backup know what to back up?  Does it look at the catalog on the media or does it use the archive bit?  I am currently running both Microsoft Backup and OneCare backup so as to have two different styles of backup, and am wondering if I'm setting up a conflict.  Finally, are there any detailed technical documents that explain exactly how it all works?

Thanks,
    Steve

Monday, December 15, 2008 6:21 AM