Can only validate with certain XP accounts RRS feed

• Question

•  

My computer has three accounts on it, plus the safe-mode administrator account.  Using my account, I have no problem validating Windows.  However, I receive the 0x80080299 error code when trying to validate using the other accounts.  I've tried most fixes already on the forums but they haven't worked.  I'm wondering how come I have no problems on my account but the others I can't validate. 

I'm having some problems on the other accounts (but not on mine), and I think they're all related.  So I figured solve one problem, the others will fix themselves.

Thursday, August 2, 2007 10:21 PM

Answers

• Killa,

This is an issue with your XML services on the computer.  If you compare your Diagnostic Report to others on the forum, you will notice that yours is missing a bunch of text below the "Office Details" line. We commonly refer to this area as the XML blob. This is caused by a missing Registry Key.
    I will provide you the steps to resolve this XML issue.

Fix (Part 1):

1) Click “Start” button, then “Run”
    2) In the Run window, Type: regsvr32 msxml3.dll  <Click OK>
       (Note: This will register the msxml3.dll and the registry entry ‘HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSXML.DOMDocument’ will be generated)
       If this does not work, the msxml3.dll may be missing or corrupt. Follow the below Fix (Part 2), in that case:

Fix (Part 2):

1) Go to the Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) 3.0 Service Pack 7 (SP7) download page at:  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=28494391-052b-42ff-9674-f752bdca9582&DisplayLang=en
    2) From the files available, download “msxml3.msi”
    3) Double click the file and follow the steps to install.
    4) Click “Start” button, then “Run...”
    5) In the Run window, Type: regsvr32 msxml3.dll  <Click OK>

Please be sure to backup or otherwise offload any data from the hard disk prior making any changes in the registry. You should be okay because the files are being registried and no changes but still a good idea to ensure any critical data is saved. Please let us know if the above steps resolved your issues. Have a great weekend.  

Thank you

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, August 2, 2007 10:51 PM
  • I followed all the steps provided, but it did not solve my problem.

When I tried to Re-register msxml3.dll on my account (the one where I have no problem validating), I get the following message:

DllRegisterServer in msxml3.dll failed

Return code was: 0x80070005

I tried the same thing in the accounts where I cannot validate, and I get this message:

Return code was: 0x80004005

Thursday, August 2, 2007 11:57 PM
  •  

Killa,

The number and complexity of errors you are experiencing while trying to correct this problem lead me to think that there is an issue larger than what can be addressed on a message board such as this one.

May I suggest that you submit a free email WGA support request at this link:  http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=509&gprid=9860&

Also please update all your data on the system in case you need to reformat.Good Luck and if you have a chance, post back to tell us what the problem was and how it turned out.

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Friday, August 3, 2007 9:35 PM
  • Thanks Stephen...I'll try the link and let you know.  But I'm convinced it's a problem involving ActiveX.  Any chance I can be pointed in the right direction for help on ActiveX issues?

Saturday, August 4, 2007 2:20 AM

All replies

• Killa,

This is an issue with your XML services on the computer.  If you compare your Diagnostic Report to others on the forum, you will notice that yours is missing a bunch of text below the "Office Details" line. We commonly refer to this area as the XML blob. This is caused by a missing Registry Key.
    I will provide you the steps to resolve this XML issue.

Fix (Part 1):

1) Click “Start” button, then “Run”
    2) In the Run window, Type: regsvr32 msxml3.dll  <Click OK>
       (Note: This will register the msxml3.dll and the registry entry ‘HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSXML.DOMDocument’ will be generated)
       If this does not work, the msxml3.dll may be missing or corrupt. Follow the below Fix (Part 2), in that case:

Fix (Part 2):

1) Go to the Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) 3.0 Service Pack 7 (SP7) download page at:  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=28494391-052b-42ff-9674-f752bdca9582&DisplayLang=en
    2) From the files available, download “msxml3.msi”
    3) Double click the file and follow the steps to install.
    4) Click “Start” button, then “Run...”
    5) In the Run window, Type: regsvr32 msxml3.dll  <Click OK>

Please be sure to backup or otherwise offload any data from the hard disk prior making any changes in the registry. You should be okay because the files are being registried and no changes but still a good idea to ensure any critical data is saved. Please let us know if the above steps resolved your issues. Have a great weekend.  

Thank you

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, August 2, 2007 10:51 PM
  • I followed all the steps provided, but it did not solve my problem.

When I tried to Re-register msxml3.dll on my account (the one where I have no problem validating), I get the following message:

Return code was: 0x80070005

I tried the same thing in the accounts where I cannot validate, and I get this message:

Return code was: 0x80004005

Thursday, August 2, 2007 11:57 PM
  •  

Killa,

The number and complexity of errors you are experiencing while trying to correct this problem lead me to think that there is an issue larger than what can be addressed on a message board such as this one.

May I suggest that you submit a free email WGA support request at this link:  http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=509&gprid=9860&

Also please update all your data on the system in case you need to reformat.Good Luck and if you have a chance, post back to tell us what the problem was and how it turned out.

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Friday, August 3, 2007 9:35 PM
  • Thanks Stephen...I'll try the link and let you know.  But I'm convinced it's a problem involving ActiveX.  Any chance I can be pointed in the right direction for help on ActiveX issues?

Saturday, August 4, 2007 2:20 AM