Assign Opportunity to queue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is it possible to assign an opportunity to a queue in CRM 4.0?

The sceanrio we have is that we would like to create the opportunity when a user downloads a product from our web site.  I have created the code to do this no problem.  The client would like to see a list of opportunities in a queue so they can assign them to members to progress.

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

Friday, January 14, 2011 11:18 AM

Answers

• You cannot assign opportunity to a queue. However we can assign a task to a queue. Therefore you can create two workflows:-

1. OnCreate of Opportunity: Check if opportunity is from web than create a task. In the task add a custom field and populated that custom field with any number say 007. The opportunity will be regarded with this task.

2. OnCreate of Task: If the number is 007 assign the record to a specific queue. You can give a user friendly name to Task like 'Check new Opportunity from web'. I will also help in tracking opportunity. Therefore, you will get all task regarded with opportunities from the web in queue.

Regards Faisal
    Friday, January 14, 2011 11:46 AM
  • In CRM 2011, you can specify which entities can be assigned to a queue, so you will soon have more options.

In the meantime, you could just use a view. Define a view of opportunities that are assigned to the default user that owns opportunities created from the website. A sales administrator/manager could open this view and reassign any opportunities in it to the appropriate sales person. Or you could use a workflow to automatically assign the opportunities based on some criteria.

Views are more flexible than queues. For example, you can't change the columns displayed in the Queues view -- which is a big drawback.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Friday, January 14, 2011 11:58 AM

All replies

• You cannot assign opportunity to a queue. However we can assign a task to a queue. Therefore you can create two workflows:-

1. OnCreate of Opportunity: Check if opportunity is from web than create a task. In the task add a custom field and populated that custom field with any number say 007. The opportunity will be regarded with this task.

2. OnCreate of Task: If the number is 007 assign the record to a specific queue. You can give a user friendly name to Task like 'Check new Opportunity from web'. I will also help in tracking opportunity. Therefore, you will get all task regarded with opportunities from the web in queue.

Regards Faisal
    Friday, January 14, 2011 11:46 AM
  • In CRM 2011, you can specify which entities can be assigned to a queue, so you will soon have more options.

In the meantime, you could just use a view. Define a view of opportunities that are assigned to the default user that owns opportunities created from the website. A sales administrator/manager could open this view and reassign any opportunities in it to the appropriate sales person. Or you could use a workflow to automatically assign the opportunities based on some criteria.

Views are more flexible than queues. For example, you can't change the columns displayed in the Queues view -- which is a big drawback.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Friday, January 14, 2011 11:58 AM
  • @Faisal

Thanks for your email.

I will certainly keep this in mind as a proposed solution.

Friday, January 14, 2011 11:59 AM