none
SyncToy 2.1 not echo'ng correctly RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have been using the Echo function in SyncToy 2.1 to backup the data on my laptop.  From the description it says that this function should make the folder contents on back drive identical to the folder on my laptop.  On closer inspection, it hasn't deleted or added files that I have added/deleted on my laptop.  The only thing it seems to do is update the files that I have modify.  I don't have any filters turned ON and tried creating a new pair which also didn't delete the additional files on my back-up drive.

Any thoughts?  

Friday, November 19, 2010 12:26 AM

All replies

• Did your backup drive, contain any files prior to the first sync?  As you may have noticed, sync does not touch files that are already on the right side (destination).  For example, if you first copy over all of your files using windows drag and drop, then modify/delete/move the original files and then try to sync using SyncToy 2.1 Echo mode, it will not mirror your original files on your backup.

Saturday, November 20, 2010 12:59 AM
  • I have been using the Echo function in SyncToy 2.1 to backup the data on my laptop.  From the description it says that this function should make the folder contents on back drive identical to the folder on my laptop.  On closer inspection, it hasn't deleted or added files that I have added/deleted on my laptop.  The only thing it seems to do is update the files that I have modify.  I don't have any filters turned ON and tried creating a new pair which also didn't delete the additional files on my back-up drive.

I've experienced those problems with Echo with both SyncToy 2.0 and 2.1. Echo has never worked properly for me, even when starting with a completely new external drive with nothing on it.

IIRC, the bugs with the Echo feature were supposed to be specifically addressed in SyncToy v2.1, but in my experience, nothing changed from v2.0 to v2.1.

Saturday, November 27, 2010 6:39 AM