Windows Home Server hanging urgent help needed RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi every one

I have had windows home server running fine on my xeon hp proliant server for months but on sun it started to hang, i have a xp pro machine which is connected to the internet any thing i save from the net i save to the windows home server straight over my gigabyte lan, but then after a while my xp machine comes up with cant save file, location missing, when i look at my home server machine i can move the mouse do ctrl alt del but the machine wont shut down and i have to turn the server off manually, i turn it back on and after a while the same thing happens.

i am new to the home server and any help in the right direction would be a great help.

thanks

Monday, July 7, 2008 5:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What do the server logs show? If you have the Toolkit installed, (if you haven't, it's worth installing, but do take note of the instructions in the associated manual, available at the same page,) this will give you easy access to the logs.

A couple of other points, what is the server temperature like, have you changed anything recently?

Colin

Monday, July 7, 2008 7:56 PM
  • iHi Colin thanks for your help so far i have looked at the logs and the main errors are in the application log and there are quiet a few like below

loads of these

07/07/2008    15:33:42    Windows Search Service    Error    Gatherer     3013    N/A    HOMESERVER2    "The entry <D:\SHARES\USERS\XYBOTS\STUFF\BACKUPCO.PART09.RAR> in the hash map cannot be updated.
    Context: Windows Application, SystemIndex Catalog
    Details:
        Unspecified error
     (0x80004005)

and a few of these

07/07/2008    15:37:20    LoadPerf    Information    None    1001    N/A    HOMESERVER2    Performance counters for the WmiApRpl (WmiApRpl) service were removed successfully. The Record Data contains the new values of the system Last Counter and Last Help registry entries.

and loads of these as well

27/06/2008    00:02:54    Chkdsk    Information    None    26212    N/A    HOMESERVER2    Chkdsk was executed in read-only mode on a volume snapshot

any of this makes sense to any one thanks for your help so far
    Monday, July 7, 2008 11:00 PM
  • Had a similar problem and it tuned out to be a hard disk connection.  Mine was a loose external eSATA connection, but the same applies to the internal drives.

If you can successfully shut down, I would remove each hard drive, clean out the WHS (using compressed air) and re-seat the hard drives in the same location you removed them from.

Not sure if it will fix the problem, but something worth a try.

DJ
    Tuesday, July 8, 2008 9:32 PM