Access External Drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have a USB drive from which I want to copy files.  Rather than have to copy them across the network, which would probably take hours, I would like to plug it in to the server directly.

I plugged the drive in and I see it show up in the Server Storage tab.  However, I don't know how to actually access the files on the drive, much less copy them to a share on the server.  How is this accomplished?

I have one of those HP Servers.

Thank you for your help!

-Matt
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 1:56 PM

Answers

• Hi Matt,
    copying within the file system is not supported and may mess up with Drive Extender.
    If you want to do it locally on the server (which is unsupported) you would have to login via Remote Desktop client using the account name Administrator and the console password as credentials.
    Then you can open the drive in Windows Explorer and copy the files from here. But as target you should always use the shared folders, which you can reach via the desktop shortcut Shared Folders on Server.
    Never copy directly to D:\shares!
    (Windows Home Server stores only tombstones here, which are used to target the real files somwehere else on the disks.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, April 25, 2009 3:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Matt Greer Monday, April 27, 2009 3:02 AM
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 2:48 PM
  • I must apologize.  I tried to find a tutorial or some info on how to use the Remote Desktop client with Windows Home Server but didn't find anything, uh, basic, enough for me.  Do you have a link or some info that I could use?  I do appreciate it.

Also, when you say it is "unsupported" does that mean it "will totally screw up my computer"?

Thanks.

In addition to what Olaf provided, there are these two links:

XP Pro
    Vista

Note: The server is already configured for Remote Desktop for the administrator account. You only need to worry about the client side connection.

Thanks

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 7:27 PM
  • OK, before I proceed, from what I can tell I simply use the shortcut provided on the desktop of the server to navigate to the shared folders.  From there, I simply open "My Computer", navigate to the USB drive, and copy files directly.

Does this sound correct?

Thanks again.

-Matt
    Yes, the source is from My Computer (and whatever drive letter is assigned to your USB drive).  The destination is through the Shared Folders on Server icon on the desktop.
    • Marked as answer by Matt Greer Monday, April 27, 2009 4:26 PM
    Monday, April 27, 2009 3:30 AM

All replies

• Hi Matt,
    copying within the file system is not supported and may mess up with Drive Extender.
    If you want to do it locally on the server (which is unsupported) you would have to login via Remote Desktop client using the account name Administrator and the console password as credentials.
    Then you can open the drive in Windows Explorer and copy the files from here. But as target you should always use the shared folders, which you can reach via the desktop shortcut Shared Folders on Server.
    Never copy directly to D:\shares!
    (Windows Home Server stores only tombstones here, which are used to target the real files somwehere else on the disks.)
    Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, April 25, 2009 3:15 PM
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 2:48 PM
  • I must apologize.  I tried to find a tutorial or some info on how to use the Remote Desktop client with Windows Home Server but didn't find anything, uh, basic, enough for me.  Do you have a link or some info that I could use?  I do appreciate it.

Also, when you say it is "unsupported" does that mean it "will totally screw up my computer"?

Thanks.
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 2:11 AM
  • Hi Matt,
    you find the Remote Desktop Client on each Windows XP or Vista PC in Start/Programs/Accessories (or a subfolder there).
    After logging in you see a desktop just as on any normal PC, just keep in mind, that this is not a normal PC.
    Unsupported means, you can screw up the server in case you do something wrong (i.e. directly copying to D:\shares, installing incompatible applications etc.) - you will see a warning window each time you open a Remote Desktop connection therefore.
    Olaf
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 9:15 AM

Thanks.

In addition to what Olaf provided, there are these two links:

XP Pro
    Vista

Note: The server is already configured for Remote Desktop for the administrator account. You only need to worry about the client side connection.

Thanks

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 7:27 PM
  • Thank you both for being so kind and helpful.

-Matt
    Monday, April 27, 2009 3:03 AM
  • OK, before I proceed, from what I can tell I simply use the shortcut provided on the desktop of the server to navigate to the shared folders.  From there, I simply open "My Computer", navigate to the USB drive, and copy files directly.

Does this sound correct?

Thanks again.

-Matt
    Monday, April 27, 2009 3:11 AM

Does this sound correct?

Thanks again.

-Matt
    Yes, the source is from My Computer (and whatever drive letter is assigned to your USB drive).  The destination is through the Shared Folders on Server icon on the desktop.
    • Marked as answer by Matt Greer Monday, April 27, 2009 4:26 PM
    Monday, April 27, 2009 3:30 AM