Back-up only backs up personal files??? RRS feed

• Question

• OK, so my Vista 64bit computer was acting goofy because of too many attempted installs/reinstalls, etc of BioShock, which by the way I never got to work correctly after working with it for a month. I decided it was time to restore from back-up. I looked to see what files would be restored and lo and behold, it appears that none of the files that will be restored are the operationg system files. Is this true? if so, why. Used to be with XP you could just install over the top and all of your stuff would still be there and there was no need to format the drive. How do I back-up the system files? I thought that when I'd restore my computer would be back to where it was when I did the back up... What's the story?

Saturday, August 9, 2008 6:46 PM

Answers

• If you are using One Care backup, it does not back up system files. This KB article lists the file types backed up by One Care - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943776/en-us

In Vista you can perform a repair install by using the "Upgrade" option in the installation menu. Vista Business or Vista Ultimate have the ability to perform full image backups which will back up your entire drive including system files or you can purchase a third party program such as Acronis True Image.

Saturday, August 9, 2008 11:30 PM