MS Genuine Authentication gone awry . . . RRS feed

• Question

• I received a message from my MS security essentials informing me that I ought to run a Genuine MS Software check.

I ran the check and recieved a message that my firefox browser was not properly configured and that I should install a plug-in via the WgaPluginInstaller.exe. I did so.

I followed the instructions and clicked the refresh button and cofirmed that everything was properly installed. I then pressed continue to validate my software.

At this point I received a message that validation confirmation could not be completed on my machine. Serveral possible reasons were listed for this. One was that there might be no software on my computer. Another option was equally as silly and the middle option said that my computer perhaps my computer was running a version of MS windows that was BEFORE MS XP or that my version of MS office was LATER (meaning newer) than MS Office 2007.

I am running a valid Winows XP and I am running a valid version of MS Office 2000, so I do not understand why my MS software cannot be validated?!

Now I am wondering if the whole process was a bogus phishing attempt?

I am also wonderig if there are any impacts if my software cannot be validated?

How do I validate my MS software? Should I care?

-M 

Friday, November 19, 2010 10:36 AM

Answers

• "Gullin" wrote in message news:5b71629f-7934-436b-828d-003b33318cce...

I received a message from my MS security essentials informing me that I ought to run a Genuine MS Software check.

I ran the check and recieved a message that my firefox browser was not properly configured and that I should install a plug-in via the WgaPluginInstaller.exe. I did so.

I followed the instructions and clicked the refresh button and cofirmed that everything was properly installed. I then pressed continue to validate my software.

At this point I received a message that validation confirmation could not be completed on my machine. Serveral possible reasons were listed for this. One was that there might be no software on my computer. Another option was equally as silly and the middle option said that my computer perhaps my computer was running a version of MS windows that was BEFORE MS XP or that my version of MS office was LATER (meaning newer) than MS Office 2007.

I am running a valid Winows XP and I am running a valid version of MS Office 2000, so I do not understand why my MS software cannot be validated?!

-M 

Office 2000 is not in the Validation system, since it has no activation bits.
    You should, however, install any updates that may be available for it (I think the latest service pack is SP3 - and there will be other updates after that.)

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, November 19, 2010 8:13 PM
    Friday, November 19, 2010 11:28 AM
  • Hello Gullin,

You wrote, "One was that there might be no software on my computer. Another option was equally as silly and the middle option said that my computer perhaps my computer was running a version of MS windows that was BEFORE MS XP or that my version of MS office was LATER (meaning newer) than MS Office 2007."

What the message actually said was there might not be any Office software on your computer, or that your computer was running a version of Microsoft Office that was before Office XP (sometimes refered to as Office 2002) or later than Office 2007.

Since you wrote that you have Office 2000, and since Office 2000 is older than Office XP, the message is correct.

Friday, November 19, 2010 7:10 PM

All replies

• "Gullin" wrote in message news:5b71629f-7934-436b-828d-003b33318cce...

I received a message from my MS security essentials informing me that I ought to run a Genuine MS Software check.

-M 

Office 2000 is not in the Validation system, since it has no activation bits.
    You should, however, install any updates that may be available for it (I think the latest service pack is SP3 - and there will be other updates after that.)

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, November 19, 2010 11:28 AM
  • Hello Gullin,

You wrote, "One was that there might be no software on my computer. Another option was equally as silly and the middle option said that my computer perhaps my computer was running a version of MS windows that was BEFORE MS XP or that my version of MS office was LATER (meaning newer) than MS Office 2007."

What the message actually said was there might not be any Office software on your computer, or that your computer was running a version of Microsoft Office that was before Office XP (sometimes refered to as Office 2002) or later than Office 2007.

Since you wrote that you have Office 2000, and since Office 2000 is older than Office XP, the message is correct.

Friday, November 19, 2010 7:10 PM