SATA Drives Show as ATA Devices in Device Manager RRS feed

• Question

• The WHS 2011 install went flawlessly.

However, my two new SATA drives show up as ATA devices in Device Manager, even though the BIOS is correctly identifying them as SATA devices.

In device Manager:

Disk Drives:

WDC WD1002FAEX - 00Y9A0   ATA Device

WDC WD5002AALX - 00J37A0  ATA Device

Do I need to supply SATA drivers ?

I am holding off loading my V1 data until this is resolved.

Thanks.

juergschoe

Saturday, June 11, 2011 6:54 PM

Answers

• I am not using AHCI on my WHS2011 but am on my main W7 PC. Device Manager reports my AHCI SATA drives exactly as you describe yours above. No special drivers required as they are natively supported so you will not be loading new drivers. Honestly, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by juergschoe Saturday, June 11, 2011 9:19 PM
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 9:06 PM

All replies

• That's fine. If you have your BIOS set to use SATA drives as IDE (rather than AHCI or RAID) then they will show up at IDE in Device Manager. Unless you want to hot swap drives there is no real advantage of going to AHCI, which would also probably require a reinstall. You can change IDE to AHCI under W7 with a registry and BIOS change without a reinstall which may work under WHS 2011 if you want to experiment.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 7:40 PM
  • What has me a little unnerved is the fact that the BIOS is set to AHCI, the Main screen on the BIOS reports the disks as SATA, yet the device manager shows them as ATA.

Under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers there are two entries of
    Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller.

Are these controlling the two SATA disks?

Is device manager just kidding when it says these are ATA devices?

I am grappling with the issue of whether I am ok and can load my data, or am I likely to redo all this work once I have installed the proper drivers ??

I remember the fun I had ( with V1 ) using the F6 method, Intel Matrix Storage manager and all that associated stuff.

Thank you for the reply.

juergschoe

Saturday, June 11, 2011 8:18 PM
  • I am not using AHCI on my WHS2011 but am on my main W7 PC. Device Manager reports my AHCI SATA drives exactly as you describe yours above. No special drivers required as they are natively supported so you will not be loading new drivers. Honestly, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    • Marked as answer by juergschoe Saturday, June 11, 2011 9:19 PM
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 9:06 PM
  • Thank you Philip for the detailed answer.
    I agree with you, I will just go ahead and use WHS 2011 and not worry .

Thanks again.

juergschoe

Saturday, June 11, 2011 9:22 PM