Just bought Windows Live OneCare RRS feed

• Question

• I just bought WindowsLiveOneCare (XP) and on the box it says 1 year for up to 3 pcs.  We installed it on my daughters new laptop as well as mine.  Once installed the screen says we only have a 90 day trial.  What's up, I expected a full year?  Also the box says antispyware is included.  The Getting Started booklet says in Step 2 that Windows Defender needs to be installed.  The "1" icon at the bottom right corner has never shown up for us to be able to install defender.  Am I not fully installed?
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 4:23 AM

Answers

• The first thing to note is that installing the product will always put you in trial mode until you activate it. There should be a link in the program to activate. Follow the process to create a subscription with the retail key from the box. You an then install on up to 2 more PCs using the same LiveID to activate - without using the key as that is only used to activate the subscription the first time. The LiveID is your subscription identification going forward.

You do not install anything else as Windows Defender antispyware protection is built into OneCare.

There should be an icon in your system tray for OneCare unless you are hiding inactive icons. Right click the task bar/system tray and select properties. If "hide inactive icons" is checked, uncheck it and the OneCare icon should appear.

-steve

Thursday, November 29, 2007 5:37 PM

All replies

• The first thing to note is that installing the product will always put you in trial mode until you activate it. There should be a link in the program to activate. Follow the process to create a subscription with the retail key from the box. You an then install on up to 2 more PCs using the same LiveID to activate - without using the key as that is only used to activate the subscription the first time. The LiveID is your subscription identification going forward.

You do not install anything else as Windows Defender antispyware protection is built into OneCare.

There should be an icon in your system tray for OneCare unless you are hiding inactive icons. Right click the task bar/system tray and select properties. If "hide inactive icons" is checked, uncheck it and the OneCare icon should appear.

-steve

Thursday, November 29, 2007 5:37 PM
  • Do I have to give a credit card number to activate it?  I don't want to do that as I will most likely not resubscribe.  There was no mention on the box about requiring a subscription to activate.  I am asking here as I want to be able to go back to the store where the product was purchased and return the product if a credit card is required to activate. 
    Saturday, December 1, 2007 2:08 AM
  • No, you will provide the retail product key, located inside the retail box behind the CD. You do not have to provide credit card information since you have already purchased the subscription at retail.

-steve

Sunday, December 2, 2007 10:16 PM