XP Pro key code RRS feed

• Question

• My laptop died.  I want to use my old XP on my new computer.  How can I activate the valid keycode.  I tried and it told me it is in use by another computer, which, of course, it was until it died.  Can I reuse my purchased valid key code?
    Thursday, March 22, 2007 5:40 PM

Answers

• Shari DCK,

If the XP on the old lappy is an OEM license that came preinstalled on the laptop, then according to the terms of the license you are not permitted to move that license to any other computer.

On the other hand, if the XP that was installed on the laptop was a retail license, which would have been separately purchased in a pretty retail box, then you are permitted to move that license for XP from the old, dead lappy to a new computer.

Thursday, March 22, 2007 6:35 PM

All replies

• Shari DCK,

If the XP on the old lappy is an OEM license that came preinstalled on the laptop, then according to the terms of the license you are not permitted to move that license to any other computer.

On the other hand, if the XP that was installed on the laptop was a retail license, which would have been separately purchased in a pretty retail box, then you are permitted to move that license for XP from the old, dead lappy to a new computer.

Thursday, March 22, 2007 6:35 PM
  • Hi Shari,

In addition, if the XP is a Retail License and you are getting that error when trying to Activate, I suggest using the Activate by Phone method. Explain to the Activation Rep that you are installing on a new computer and that the previous computer is no longer working.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Program Manager

--------------------------------------------------------

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.
    --------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, March 22, 2007 8:38 PM