How to follow a Lead all the way through to a closed Opportunity RRS feed

• Question

• I desperately need to find a way to map some type of a code that starts on a Lead record, and follows that Lead all the way through to a closed Opportunity. For example, we have an outside marketing company who purchases Leads for my company and we import them into CRM for the Sales team to follow up on. We have a field on the Lead Record called "Lead Import Code" that we use on import so we can identify these Leads from that particular import list, but when that Lead is converted to an Account and a Contact, we lose that Import Code and have no way to track or report on where that particular Lead came from all the way to closing. My thinking is that we should maybe be able to create that same Lead Import Code field on the Contact and Account and Opportunity record and have it follow it from Lead to Opportunity closed and be able to track and report on it. We do not have a CRM developer to custom code something like this but shouldnt we be able to do it from the GUI using mapped fields the same way the email address or other information follows a Lead through the system? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 4:30 PM

Answers

• My earlier posting was slightly in error. I should have said that a Lead record has a Lead Source picklist and that records which are created from a lead are linked back to the lead in a field called the Source Lead. So any contacts, accounts and opportunities that were created as  result of a lead can be traced back to the originating lead and from the originating lead the lead source picklist or indeed your custom lead import code field can be identified.

If you especially want to see the lead import code field on your accounts, contacts and opportunities try the following:

• On the lead form, click customize and then customize entity
    • Navigate to 1:n relationships
    • For each of the relationships where the field name is Originating Lead:
    • open the relationship
    • click mappings
    • click new
    • select your custom lead import code field in the source and target entity fields (assuming that you have created a custom field called lead import code in accounts, contacts and opportunities)
    • Once all are done, publish customization.

Now when an account, contact or opportunity is created from a lead the lead import code will be included in the mapping process as per the other fields such as address, e-mail etc.

Let me know if this works for you.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 6:03 PM
  • Great to hear that you've had success and your question makes sense.

The process for mapping the field from an account to an opportunity is very similar to my previous posting:

• On the account form, click customize and then customize entity
    • Open the relationship between account and opportunity where the field name is Potential Customer
    • click mappings
    • click new
    • select your custom lead import code field in the source and target entity fields
    • Publish customizations.
    • Proposed as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, October 4, 2011 8:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dave Courtney Tuesday, October 4, 2011 8:57 PM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 8:30 PM

All replies

• Have you looked at the Lead Source picklist on the Lead record?  That field is referenced in records that are created from the lead. I agree that it may be a bit of a pain to maintain the field because it is a picklist but it is something you can use without any coding at all.
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 5:43 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. We do not have the Lead Source picklist on any other records other than the Lead Record. The Lead Import Code field that we use now on the Lead Record is one that I created an is an open text field that we can enter unique info. into. Wouldnt that be a better field to add to the Account, Contact and Opp records and somehow map that field to follow the Lead all the way through like I suggested above? It would seem to make sense to me but I'm not a developer and I am fairly new to CRM. Thanks for your input!
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 5:50 PM
  • My earlier posting was slightly in error. I should have said that a Lead record has a Lead Source picklist and that records which are created from a lead are linked back to the lead in a field called the Source Lead. So any contacts, accounts and opportunities that were created as  result of a lead can be traced back to the originating lead and from the originating lead the lead source picklist or indeed your custom lead import code field can be identified.

If you especially want to see the lead import code field on your accounts, contacts and opportunities try the following:

• On the lead form, click customize and then customize entity
    • For each of the relationships where the field name is Originating Lead:
    • open the relationship
    • click mappings
    • click new
    • select your custom lead import code field in the source and target entity fields (assuming that you have created a custom field called lead import code in accounts, contacts and opportunities)
    • Once all are done, publish customization.

Now when an account, contact or opportunity is created from a lead the lead import code will be included in the mapping process as per the other fields such as address, e-mail etc.

Let me know if this works for you.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 6:03 PM
  • Thanks! I'll give this a try and report back. It probably wont be till tomorrow though. i appreciate it!
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 6:59 PM
  • Ok! I had real good success with that so far and your help has been invaluable! Next question, this all works fine if I convert the Lead to a Contact, Account and Opportunity all at once from the Lead record. However, if I just convert it to an Account, and then go in and manually create an Opportunity from inside there, it does not carry the code over. Can you please give me the step by step to map from the Account record over to the Opportunity record so it will follow through even when the OPP is not created from the Lead? If that makes sense to you? ;-)
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 7:55 PM
  • Great to hear that you've had success and your question makes sense.

The process for mapping the field from an account to an opportunity is very similar to my previous posting:

• On the account form, click customize and then customize entity
    • Open the relationship between account and opportunity where the field name is Potential Customer
    • click mappings
    • click new
    • select your custom lead import code field in the source and target entity fields
    • Publish customizations.
    • Proposed as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, October 4, 2011 8:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dave Courtney Tuesday, October 4, 2011 8:57 PM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 8:30 PM
  • Thank you so much! This worked perfectly. Now I can go take all the credit in front of the Marketing team!! LOL. Seriously though, your timely response to my questions has been much appreciated! Have a great day!
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 8:57 PM