invalid product key RRS feed

• Question

• I lent my computer to my son while hhis was being repaired. He uninstalled my programs and installed his own. I now have Vista Ultimate installed but when i go to use it I am told that it is invalid and that the trial period has expired. When asked if I want to purchase a new product key - I reply "yes" but from then on get nowhere. I havee spent a lot of time on this and am quite frsutrated.

Can you please tell me how I can simply purchase a new product key?

Thank you,

Colin Harrison.  

Sunday, December 26, 2010 11:14 AM

Answers

• "Colin AnthonyHarrison" wrote in message news:00f14254-ffcc-4608-8818-f509b7edf11f...

Noel,

Thank you for your reply.

When I checked on the Microsoft Australia website it said that Vista was still being sold - though perhaps that is not quite up to date - but I could not obtain any further availability or price information from the website - it said to go to my supplier.

My original operating software was XP which was ok but i do not know if it such a wondeful idea to go back to that. I was interested to consider windows7 and had the website check the suitability of the computer. It said it was OK but there was insufficient available room. Only about 8gb available and about 10gb required. If I was able to remove the Vista may be it would then be OK. Can you comment on that. It also said that I should upgrade my graphics in order to fully take advantage of the graphics in windows7. That may not make much difference for me.

It also seems that I should remove the Vista before reverting to XP and I am not too sure how to go about that.

What do you think about all that ? I will look forward to your reply.

Colin Harrison.

Colin Harrison

I was pretty careful in my wording :) MS no longer sells Vista, but many retailers and wholesalers still have stock, so you could buy it if you really wanted to.
    If your machine is currently running Vista happily (albeit illegally), then it should have no problems with Win7, and 7 is what Vista should have been.
    Whether you go back to XP or 'upgrade' to Win 7 you will need to do a clean install, and reformat the system drive before installing the OS
    Even if you do decide to stick with Vista, I'd still recommend a clean install, since it's impossible after the fact to be sure what got installed along with the OS, when using counterfeits.
    There is NO legal sale of Keys without accompanying software disks, except from MS itself, Digital River, and Dell (!).

First thing is to decide which way to go:-
    1) revert back to XP
        If you get the recovery disks from the OEM, and use them, they will automatically wipe the HD clean, and then install the system back to its original ex-factory state.
    2) Stick with Vista without reinstall
        You would need to purchase a FULL RETAIL Vista Ultimate pack and use the key from that to make your system genuine
    3) Here's where it gets complicated :) - Vista with Reinstall
        You could opt either to get the XP recovery disks, and an Upgrade version of whatever edition of Vista you wanted (a LOT cheaper than retail Ultimate!), or get a full retail copy of Vista (whichever edition you want/need), and simply use that to do a custom/clean install.
    4) Win7
       You could opt either to get the XP recovery disks, and an Upgrade version of whatever edition of Win7 you wanted  or get a full retail copy of Win7, and simply use that to do a custom/clean install.

In ALL cases except #2 you would have to back up your data to external media before beginning the process, because the disk will be wiped clean in the process.

Note that VERY few users actually *need* the bells and whistles that come with the Ultimate editions of Vista/W7 - so I'd recommend going for either Basic, or Home Premium, unless you need access to business domain networks, or BitLocker.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, December 28, 2010 10:20 PM
    Monday, December 27, 2010 9:59 AM

All replies

• "Colin AnthonyHarrison" wrote in message news:5b7f8de4-1f21-4ebd-82ce-70cce062f5f5...

I lent my computer to my son while hhis was being repaired. He uninstalled my programs and installed his own. I now have Vista Ultimate installed but when i go to use it I am told that it is invalid and that the trial period has expired. When asked if I want to purchase a new product key - I reply "yes" but from then on get nowhere. I havee spent a lot of time on this and am quite frsutrated.

Can you please tell me how I can simply purchase a new product key?

Thank you,

Colin Harrison.  

It sounds like our son needs to be kept on a tight leash!
    MS now no longer sell Vista of any flavour.
    You should contact your OEM through their website, and obtain a copy of the recovery disks for your factory-installed OS from them - it's a lot cheaper than buying a new genuine full license for Windows 7, which would be your other option.

--

Sunday, December 26, 2010 12:40 PM
  • Noel,

When I checked on the Microsoft Australia website it said that Vista was still being sold - though perhaps that is not quite up to date - but I could not obtain any further availability or price information from the website - it said to go to my supplier.

My original operating software was XP which was ok but i do not know if it such a wondeful idea to go back to that. I was interested to consider windows7 and had the website check the suitability of the computer. It said it was OK but there was insufficient available room. Only about 8gb available and about 10gb required. If I was able to remove the Vista may be it would then be OK. Can you comment on that. It also said that I should upgrade my graphics in order to fully take advantage of the graphics in windows7. That may not make much difference for me.

It also seems that I should remove the Vista before reverting to XP and I am not too sure how to go about that.

Colin Harrison.

Colin Harrison
    Monday, December 27, 2010 2:12 AM
  • "Colin AnthonyHarrison" wrote in message news:00f14254-ffcc-4608-8818-f509b7edf11f...

Noel,

Colin Harrison.

Colin Harrison

I was pretty careful in my wording :) MS no longer sells Vista, but many retailers and wholesalers still have stock, so you could buy it if you really wanted to.
    If your machine is currently running Vista happily (albeit illegally), then it should have no problems with Win7, and 7 is what Vista should have been.
    Whether you go back to XP or 'upgrade' to Win 7 you will need to do a clean install, and reformat the system drive before installing the OS
    Even if you do decide to stick with Vista, I'd still recommend a clean install, since it's impossible after the fact to be sure what got installed along with the OS, when using counterfeits.
    There is NO legal sale of Keys without accompanying software disks, except from MS itself, Digital River, and Dell (!).

First thing is to decide which way to go:-
    1) revert back to XP
        If you get the recovery disks from the OEM, and use them, they will automatically wipe the HD clean, and then install the system back to its original ex-factory state.
    2) Stick with Vista without reinstall
        You would need to purchase a FULL RETAIL Vista Ultimate pack and use the key from that to make your system genuine
    3) Here's where it gets complicated :) - Vista with Reinstall
        You could opt either to get the XP recovery disks, and an Upgrade version of whatever edition of Vista you wanted (a LOT cheaper than retail Ultimate!), or get a full retail copy of Vista (whichever edition you want/need), and simply use that to do a custom/clean install.
    4) Win7
       You could opt either to get the XP recovery disks, and an Upgrade version of whatever edition of Win7 you wanted  or get a full retail copy of Win7, and simply use that to do a custom/clean install.

In ALL cases except #2 you would have to back up your data to external media before beginning the process, because the disk will be wiped clean in the process.

Note that VERY few users actually *need* the bells and whistles that come with the Ultimate editions of Vista/W7 - so I'd recommend going for either Basic, or Home Premium, unless you need access to business domain networks, or BitLocker.

--

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, December 28, 2010 10:20 PM
    Monday, December 27, 2010 9:59 AM
  • Noel,

Thank you very much for your quite extensive and detailed reply. I really do appreciate the trouble you have gone to and the quality of the advice. I am not too sure if you are in America or Australia which is immaterial.  After your previous reply I decided to see if I could readily find Vista here. After a short while, with no luck, I decided to ring Harris Technology who are possibly the leading sellers of computers to business in Australia and very knowledgeable. I had a good talk to a nice young guy there who pointed out some of the things that you are also He explained that the Vista would be taken out and make room for the Win 7. I will be using it for a small business as well as personal use but I had  already decided that the advantages of the better versions were not applicable to my case and that Home Premium was the way to go to which he and you agree. We used to have networked computers but we have simplified our operation. He also pointed out that if my computer would not handle the graphics in Win 7, that Win 7 would just close those down and as they were quite technical I very likely would not miss them and at this stage I doubt I would ever have a use for them. So to get to the point I ordered Win 7 and will have it in  a day or two. Luckily perhaps my son wiped everything else out of the computer and returned it empty so I will have virtually a clean slate. When I get the Win 7 installed I will transfer all my folders and records from my desk top which is old and annoying to this not so old Toshiba satellite with 2.7 Celeron – I have built it up to 1.25 GB Ram and have another 1GB to install so that will not be too bad. It is a very nice computer with a high definition xpags  screen and I have an external hard disc to make up for the lack of HD memory. It could of course be faster but I do not know if that is really such a problem.

The only problem I have is that the cursor seems to have a mind of its’ own and moves – anywhere – and I find I am typing in some quite unrelated out of context place. I do not know if you  know anything about that.

So – sorry for being longwinded – and I really do appreciate your consideration.

Thank  you,

Colin Harrison.

Colin Harrison
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 11:24 PM
  • "Colin AnthonyHarrison" wrote in message news:f1791c4a-f1a6-46aa-8c43-6d3a934a0442...

Noel,

Thank you very much for your quite extensive and detailed reply. I really do appreciate the trouble you have gone to and the quality of the advice. I am not too sure if you are in America or Australia which is immaterial.  After your previous reply I decided to see if I could readily find Vista here. After a short while, with no luck, I decided to ring Harris Technology who are possibly the leading sellers of computers to business in Australia and very knowledgeable. I had a good talk to a nice young guy there who pointed out some of the things that you are also He explained that the Vista would be taken out and make room for the Win 7. I will be using it for a small business as well as personal use but I had  already decided that the advantages of the better versions were not applicable to my case and that Home Premium was the way to go to which he and you agree. We used to have networked computers but we have simplified our operation. He also pointed out that if my computer would not handle the graphics in Win 7, that Win 7 would just close those down and as they were quite technical I very likely would not miss them and at this stage I doubt I would ever have a use for them. So to get to the point I ordered Win 7 and will have it in  a day or two. Luckily perhaps my son wiped everything else out of the computer and returned it empty so I will have virtually a clean slate. When I get the Win 7 installed I will transfer all my folders and records from my desk top which is old and annoying to this not so old Toshiba satellite with 2.7 Celeron – I have built it up to 1.25 GB Ram and have another 1GB to install so that will not be too bad. It is a very nice computer with a high definition xpags  screen and I have an external hard disc to make up for the lack of HD memory. It could of course be faster but I do not know if that is really such a problem.

The only problem I have is that the cursor seems to have a mind of its’ own and moves – anywhere – and I find I am typing in some quite unrelated out of context place. I do not know if you  know anything about that.

So – sorry for being longwinded – and I really do appreciate your consideration.

Thank  you,

Colin Harrison.

Colin Harrison
    Your cursor problem may simply be that it's over-sensitive. Check the options in the Control Panel for the sensitivity
     of the TouchPad.
    (I'm actually in the UK <g>)
    Good Luck.

--

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 12:44 AM