Cant activate after re-install - initially got key from MSDNAA RRS feed

• Question

• I am a student. I downloaded Win 7 Pro x64 from MSDNAA.

I had to do a clean reinstall - Formatted drives. I had done this previously and no problem. It automatically recognized my system and everything was fine.

(this is the second re-install)

I figured I would log back into MSDNAA and get the key. However, I am not taking classes this semester and I am now locked out of MSDNAA untill I enroll in my next IT classes.

Am I out of luck until then? If I had known this would be the case, I would not have uninstalled. But I figured microsoft connected to my computer and recognized the machine and it would work like the last time.

Is there any way I can retrieve this product key. I have all information that would like me to the MSNDAA account to prove that I legitimately got it from there.

Thanks

Monday, January 3, 2011 9:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• "Jeenyusx10" wrote in message news:5b82bc21-ee0b-4b32-b66e-20f5117353fa...

I am a student. I downloaded Win 7 Pro x64 from MSDNAA.

I had to do a clean reinstall - Formatted drives. I had done this previously and no problem. It automatically recognized my system and everything was fine.

(this is the second re-install)

I figured I would log back into MSDNAA and get the key. However, I am not taking classes this semester and I am now locked out of MSDNAA untill I enroll in my next IT classes.

Am I out of luck until then? If I had known this would be the case, I would not have uninstalled. But I figured microsoft connected to my computer and recognized the machine and it would work like the last time.

Is there any way I can retrieve this product key. I have all information that would like me to the MSNDAA account to prove that I legitimately got it from there.

Thanks

MSDNAA licenses are usually Upgrade ones - and many of them are MAK licenses which are required to activate from the issuing institution's servers, rather than from MS.
    If you have no record of your Product Key as issued, then MS certainly does not - and you are out of luck.
    Have you checked your email and any other stuff that came with the original MSDNAA install? That usually contains the Key.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Monday, January 3, 2011 9:57 PM
  • You may be able to get additional assistance at the the MSDNAA page http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/academic/default

Thank you,

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, January 6, 2011 12:21 AM
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 12:20 AM