Unmountable Boot Volume BSOD RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, my WHS had stopped responding so I rebooted it, upon doing that I came back and saw the BSOD Unmountable_Boot_Volume

I have repaired this on XP with the CD/DVD, but what do you do in WHS ?

Sunday, May 2, 2010 1:31 PM

All replies

• You might be able to fix it again with the XP disk, but you're probably better off with the WHS server reinstallation
    Monday, May 3, 2010 11:48 PM
  • The problem I have with that is:-

I was originally planning on keeping a floppy and a CD/DVD rom permanently in the WHS, but decided to run it completely headless, and my MOBO although it does have SATA drivers, they are EXTREMELY CLUNKY when you try and install them, so much that I nearly didnt bother with a WHS at the very beginning,

Is it possible to use an IDE drive in replacement of the original SATA (C:/ drive) (the theory behind this is that you dont need to install the awkward SATA drivers that has caused me this issue? then when WHS is up and running again will it 'find' the other 10 SATA drives (through automatic updates?) that I have connected via SATA add in cards (PCI) If it can then it will save me such a headache!

Whilst asking about IDE drives (what is the minimum needed for the OS (C:/) drive?) I have a 20GB IDE and a 250GB IDE if I can use the 20GB then I will add the 250GB to the backup drives

Basically will a server reinstall work on an IDE drive as the OS drive (C:/) or do I need to use another SATA?

I have so much data on my other 10 drives (its all backed up and and the folders are all duplicated) I just dont want to lose whats on them :-(

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 7:29 AM
  • Can you not run your SATA controller in IDE or Legacy mode (BIOS Settings) - then you can avoid the 'akward SATA Drivers'.
    --
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 3:30 PM
  • Hi Al,

Unfortunately not, my MOBO is a Jetway S775MAX, one of the first to support SATA and it does not have that option in the BIOS.

I am using 3 add in SATA cards that I also have the drivers for, but when it comes to the second screen to install them (the blue screen that you have to press F6 on, you need a floppy to install the drivers) I can add them at the first set of WHS screen with the bullet points down the left hand side with a flash drive, but when it comes to the blue screen to add them, it doesnt accept them, which I why I was thinking of going the IDE route for the C:/ drive to save the hassle.

But I am unsure if you still need to add the drivers for the SATA PCI cards at any of the points it asks for them, or will they be recognised when windows updates adds the drivers?

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 7:28 AM
  • So does anyone know what size preferably the C:/ needs to be?

Will 20GB cut it or not?

Friday, May 7, 2010 10:57 AM
  • You will need to use a floppy drive (can also be a USB floppy drive), since Windows Server 2003 does only support this media in the classic setup part.

At one time (its a logn time ago) I managed to copy the files after booting from a Vista DVD from my USB stick to the Windows\system32\drivers and Windows\inf folder on the already created partition. Is the system partition already created on this disk by the first stage of setup? (Eventually hang the disk into a client temporary to check this and to copy the driver files into the proper folders on that dísk.
    Creating a volume manually does not bring you forward, since the setup stage of Windows Server 2003 is still not detecting the disk.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, May 7, 2010 6:40 PM
  • Right I now have some serious issues -

I did the server reinstallation, took a VERY long time 7hrs+ and now when the WHS boots up most of the drives are NOT detected, my drives with data on seem to be still called C:/ and D:/ (but there are 2 lots of C:/ and D:/ if that makes sense and there are LOTS of errors all the time.

DISKS as shown in My Computer:-

SYS (C:) DATA (D:) SYS (E:) DATA (F:) BACKUPS (G:) all showing at least some data in them, but WHS console is SHOWING all my drives and folders etc (but in the pie chart on the WHS disk tool its all mostly gray and white)

My main concern here is NOT losing my data (which can still be seen in the DE shares by the way)

My computer is not showing all the drives but the WHS console is, but they are ALL shown as SYSTEM drives.

UPDATES are not installing as they should and the WHOLE system is so slow its unreal

HELP PLEASE

Also I tried to install the OS to the 250GB IDE and for some reason it hasnt, its still showing it as the old SATA drive (I didnt load drivers at the F6 stage as I was using the IDE as far as I knew, but thats not showing at all on the system or the WHS console)
    Saturday, May 8, 2010 8:24 AM
  • ANYONE, please?

I dont mind, removing my disks and just installing on the 1 if needed and then adding them as Olaf said in his tutorial, I just wanted to know if there is anything else I could do before resorting to a new install

Monday, May 10, 2010 7:52 AM
  • Something seems to be very wrong with your installation. You don't want any error messages or anything on a server, it should just be there and serve you with whatever data you need. I would suggest unplugging all data drives and try with a new install. If you find any trouble with error messages after a fresh install, something might be wrong with your hardware.

I do know that manual restore is time consuming, I had to do so recently when my SYS died. I suggest you check out robocopy to save you some time. Copying using win 2k3 was a pain as as soon as I walked away from the computer the copying stopped asking if I really wanted to copy the thumbs.db etc.

/Bjurran, Sweden

Monday, May 10, 2010 9:43 AM