WHS PP2 and Windows 7 RC - Anyone Else Seeing Strange Connection Issues? RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows 7 RC installed on 3 machines that previously ran Windows 7 Beta flawlessly. Unfortunately, I upgraded to PP2 and Windows 7 RC at almost exactly the same time. I have 9 total machines connected to WHS. With the machines running Windows 7 RC I was able to connect via \WHS\software without issue and install the connector software. The WHS icon shows in the tray on all three machines and all three backup (sort of...). Whenever I attempt to connect to the WHS using the tray icon, nothing happens for about 30 seconds and then I get an error that states:

"This computer cannot connect to your home server. Check your network connect and make sure your home server is powered on. If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes."

What is strange is that I can connect to the file system from each of the machines to the WHS at the same time this error is displayed and also from the WHS to any machine share on the same machines. If I stop a vital service on any machine, it immediately is recognized and alerted on the WHS and all machines. One of the machines is a Media Center PC and the Media Center connector loaded just fine and I can see the Recorded TV files that I moved to the WHS without issue. Yet this same machine tells me that it cannot connect via the WHS console.

If I attempt to connect via the WHS to the unit to manage the backups (set drives to backup, etc.) it never comes back. The progress bar moves about 80% of the way and just stays there and nothing ever happens. If I cancel and try it from the machine, I get an error stating that it cannot connect as a backup configuration is already in progress.

I have not experienced such issues with other machines (all Vista, 32- and 64-bit). All work flawlessly and without issue. I find it very odd that backups occur without problem (except where I need to uncheck a couple of problem drives and can't). I can ask for a manual backup via the tray icon and it does it.

Any thoughts on what I might try additionally to resolve these issues would be greatly appreciated. I am wondering what has changed in Win7 RC that has precipitated the change in behaviour?

Addendum: Following a stray thought, I just re-validated all three machines. I now recognize that one of the machines has not yet been updated to Win7 RC, so it appears that the issue is on the PP2 side, as it exhibits exactly the same issues as the upgraded machines. None of the Vista machines do. On this particular machine the client upgraded automatically after the install of PP2.

Brent
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 1:03 AM

Answers

• I resolved this issue by adding the IP address of the WHS to my DHCP scopes as the first DNS address, followed by the original other two. This forces the Console query to immediately go to the WHS to get resolved and it seems to have done the trick. I don't notice any difference in access speed when going to other internal or external resources. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions in this thread and others. It put me on the right track, thinking the right thoughts.
    Brent
    • Marked as answer by jbharman45 Sunday, May 24, 2009 5:51 PM
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 5:51 PM

All replies

• Addendum: Following a stray thought, I just re-validated all three machines. I now recognize that one of the machines has not yet been updated to Win7 RC, so it appears that the issue is on the PP2 side, as it exhibits exactly the same issues as the upgraded machines. None of the Vista machines do. On this particular machine the client upgraded automatically after the install of PP2.

Brent

Hi,

Are the Windows 7 clients connected to your network differently than the Vista clients? If PP2 had somehow affected your server adversly, the Vista clients would be affected and it sounds like they are working fine.

Can you provide more information regarding how these Windows 7 PCs are connected and/or what might be different (except the OS) from the Vista PCs?

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 1:51 AM
  • No, the connectivity is identical. All the machines connect via Gigabit Ethernet (which is hard wired throughout the house and uses a common 24 port switch) and/or Wireless N, identical to the other machines. Interestingly enough, I yanked the hard drive of the Lenovo S10 Netbook which is running Win7 and put the hard drive with Vista Enterprise back in and the console functionality works like it is supposed to. Under Win7 I have no connectivity issues at all other than this console problem to WHS. I am more than tempted to remove PP2 and go back to PP1 where all this worked.
    Brent
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 1:02 PM
  • I resolved this issue by adding the IP address of the WHS to my DHCP scopes as the first DNS address, followed by the original other two. This forces the Console query to immediately go to the WHS to get resolved and it seems to have done the trick. I don't notice any difference in access speed when going to other internal or external resources. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions in this thread and others. It put me on the right track, thinking the right thoughts.
    Brent
    • Marked as answer by jbharman45 Sunday, May 24, 2009 5:51 PM
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 5:51 PM