none
What is the best certification to get for SQL Server? RRS feed

• Question

• My background is in data analytics and I want to get a certification for SQL Server to boost my career options. I'm trying to figure out what the best path forward is. I'm pretty well-versed in relational databases, Microsoft Access and VBA, and the basics of SQL queries, I have a degree in Computer Science and database development experience (many years back) but my experience with SQL Server itself at least on the server/administration side is very limited. I have my eye on the MCSA in Database Administration leading into the MCSE Data Management and Analytics certification with the following path:

70-762, 70-764, 70-765. I might take 762 (Database Development) first because that would be my "elective" exam for the MCSE anyway and it would probably be a good warm-up.

My main questions are thus:

1. What would be more useful, the MCSA Database Development or Database Administration? I think the former fits my background better, but Administration is what I'd like to do down the road.

2. How in demand is the MCSE to begin with and what's the job market like?

3. For training, below are the courses I've found with EdX (the in-person cert courses are just price-prohibitive) but I'm not sure what the best pathway through these is:

70-762:
    Developing SQL Databases (DAT215.1x)
    Creating Programmatic SQL Database Objects (DAT215.2x)
    Managing SQL Database Transactions and Concurrency (DAT215.3x)
    Implementing In-Memory SQL Database Objects (DAT215.4x)
    Optimizing Performance for SQL Based Applications (DAT215.5x)

70-764:
    Securing Data in Azure and SQL Server (DAT243x)
    Recovering Data in Azure and SQL Server (DAT244x)
    Managing SQL Server Operations (DAT247x)

70-765:
    Provisioning Databases in Azure and SQL Server (DAT219x)

• Edited by servo75 Saturday, July 14, 2018 2:21 AM
    Saturday, July 14, 2018 1:46 AM