One Care cannot find my central backup device RRS feed

• Question

• Everything is on and connected but PC does not connect to my external drive drive located on the hub computer

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 11:12 PM

Answers

• When you configured the external drive as the Central Backup device did you also setup the Share permissions for the location?

Have you ever done a successful backup to this drive from the monitored PC or PCs?

From Instant Support:

Set user permissions for a centralized backup device

Before you can use an external hard disk or network share as a central backup device for all computers in your OneCare circle, you must make sure that all users on the network have the correct permissions to access it.

By default, Windows XP uses simple file sharing. If the external hard drive is connected to a computer that's running Windows XP Home Edition, all users on the network automatically have permission to access the device and the backup files. However, if the external hard drive is connected to a computer that's running Windows XP Professional Edition or Windows Vista, simple file sharing is turned off when you create a backup plan that uses a centralized backup device.

If you are using a network share as a backup device, you must grant permission for users to access the network share. When you grant permission, all users will have access to the backup files.

To set user permissions for a centralized backup device:
    1. On the network share or external hard disk, navigate to (but do not open) the shared folder or drive that you want to set permissions for.
    2. Right-click the backup folder or drive, and then click Properties.
    3. In Windows XP Home Edition, on the Sharing tab, click Share this folder, and then click Permissions.

–or–

In Windows XP Professional Edition or Windows Vista, on the Sharing tab, click Advanced Sharing. Click Share this folder, and then click Permissions.

4. Under Group or user names, make sure that Everyone is selected.
    5. Under Permissions for Everyone, in the Allow column, select the Full Control check box.

-steve

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 11:39 PM

All replies

• When you configured the external drive as the Central Backup device did you also setup the Share permissions for the location?

Have you ever done a successful backup to this drive from the monitored PC or PCs?

From Instant Support:

Set user permissions for a centralized backup device

Before you can use an external hard disk or network share as a central backup device for all computers in your OneCare circle, you must make sure that all users on the network have the correct permissions to access it.

By default, Windows XP uses simple file sharing. If the external hard drive is connected to a computer that's running Windows XP Home Edition, all users on the network automatically have permission to access the device and the backup files. However, if the external hard drive is connected to a computer that's running Windows XP Professional Edition or Windows Vista, simple file sharing is turned off when you create a backup plan that uses a centralized backup device.

If you are using a network share as a backup device, you must grant permission for users to access the network share. When you grant permission, all users will have access to the backup files.

To set user permissions for a centralized backup device:
    1. On the network share or external hard disk, navigate to (but do not open) the shared folder or drive that you want to set permissions for.
    2. Right-click the backup folder or drive, and then click Properties.
    3. In Windows XP Home Edition, on the Sharing tab, click Share this folder, and then click Permissions.

–or–

In Windows XP Professional Edition or Windows Vista, on the Sharing tab, click Advanced Sharing. Click Share this folder, and then click Permissions.

4. Under Group or user names, make sure that Everyone is selected.
    5. Under Permissions for Everyone, in the Allow column, select the Full Control check box.

-steve

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 11:39 PM
  • No,  I have not had a successful back-up.  I will try and set permissions and see if that fixes the problem.  Thanks.
    Saturday, May 24, 2008 1:29 PM
  • I have similar problem but in my case OneCare finds centralized device and interrupts backup with message "not sufficient privileges" to access device.

I think that tip from support is misleading because when you follow it for external disk OneCare immediately removes permissions for "Everyone" after you press start backup. It works only for network share.

Friday, May 30, 2008 10:56 AM
  • A Centralized backup *is* a network Share. The information about permissions isn't a support tip, it's from the Instant Help text.

Where are you seeing the permissions being removed?

-steve

Friday, May 30, 2008 11:15 AM
  •  

You said info was from instant support.

Anyway .. I tried to use initally external disk as centralized backup just like original poster wrote, *not* network share.

If you simply follow that tip for hub on Vista case that is where you can also see permissions for "Everyone" being removed.

Friday, May 30, 2008 7:18 PM
  • Sorry for interchanging the terminology for Instant Help and Instant Support. What I'm referring to is the Online help for OneCare from here:

http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2&mkt=en-us

I'll have to test out the backup wizard from a Vista machine when I get a chance. I have a network Share configured for Centralized backup on one machine that my wife's PC backs up to weekly, but the Hub is running XP. I configured the Share exactly as defined in the Help topic.

-steve

Friday, May 30, 2008 11:42 PM
  •  

If I read tip correctly you may be able to recreate that issue provided hub runs XP Pro.

I did some digging and noticed OneCare creates new local group and backup users in that group for every PC when you pick centralized backup with external disk. Then OneCare creates network share on that external disk.

There no word about it instant help which might be actually ok if it worked ;-)

Sunday, June 1, 2008 12:01 PM
  • Thanks for the additional information. I do have a hub machine running XP, but it is backing up to a Shared folder I created on the internal drive, and then only my wifes XP machine - none of the others in the Circle. I'll have to set up an external disk on that machine and reset the Centralized backup to test out your findings. I'm not sure when I'll get to it, though! :-)

-steve

Monday, June 2, 2008 1:30 AM
  • I am getting the same issue. I have set everything on the exteranl Harddrive to "Everyone" full control. I run the backp fro a Hub PC, and is says "not sufficient privileges". The premissions under that name PCs directories in the Centerl Backup are reset and even the Owner gets reset. I have to take onership to open up the permissions and try again. It is still failing to do a backup. Any ideas?

Sunday, October 12, 2008 3:00 PM
  •  ViperJD wrote:
    I am getting the same issue. I have set everything on the exteranl Harddrive to "Everyone" full control. I run the backp fro a Hub PC, and is says "not sufficient privileges". The premissions under that name PCs directories in the Centerl Backup are reset and even the Owner gets reset. I have to take onership to open up the permissions and try again. It is still failing to do a backup. Any ideas?

Is the external drive connected to the hub machine? Is it USB or other connection? Do any PCs backup successfully to the Centralized backup destination in this configuration?

-steve

Monday, October 13, 2008 6:14 PM
  •  ViperJD wrote:
    I am getting the same issue. I have set everything on the exteranl Harddrive to "Everyone" full control. I run the backp fro a Hub PC, and is says "not sufficient privileges". The premissions under that name PCs directories in the Centerl Backup are reset and even the Owner gets reset. I have to take onership to open up the permissions and try again. It is still failing to do a backup. Any ideas?

I found centralized backup with external drive does not work because OneCare does not exchange backup operator user credentials.

Only network share works but I had to create user account with the same name and passowrd on both machines first.

Manual does not mention that.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 2:27 PM