Unable to activate Windows RRS feed

• Question

• OK, about 2 weeks ago my computer locked up, so I rebooted and nothing came up on the screen. So I started to rule out what the problem was, I hooked my hdd up to another computer to see if the hdd would work there. Everything came up fine, so I knew it wasn't the hdd. Windows then detected that my system had drastically changed and asked me to activate windows. Well I could not get an internet connection on that computer and didn't bother.
    Found out later, it was the video card, it was receiving power, but the card just stopped working.

Yesterday I received my RMA replacement from evga, put my video card in and booted up my computer. Screen came on and saw my computers start up logo. Windows loads up and I'm at the login screen. I login and then windows pops up a box saying "You must activate windows before you can login. Would you like to activate now?" I hit yes and windows just logs me out and sends me to the user login screen. Rinse and repeat.

So I looked through the microsoft website and saw a few solutions. Tried one of them, didn't work(editing my registry in safe mode and copying over wpa.dbl) Then another solution they gave has me booting from cd and doing a repair install through my xp disc. So I tried that, I boot from my cd and it starts loading files (Kernel Debugger dll, Windows Executive, etc.) Then after it has loaded those files, it says Starting Windows Setup. I then get a blue screen with this error

STOP: c0000221 Unknown Error
    \SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll

This is where I'm stuck at.

I can get into safe mode just fine. But other than that, windows wont let me in until I activate it. But it will not let me activate it.

My specs are

AMD 3200+xp
    Asus motherboard A7N8X Deluxe
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 120gb hdd
    Nvidia Geforce 6800GS
    2gb of pc3200 corsair ram
    Windows XP Professional

Hope theres enough information here to give me a solution I can actually use. Thanks in advance!
    Saturday, December 1, 2007 3:44 AM

Answers

All replies

• Error Message: STOP: C0000221 Unknown Hard Error or STOP: C0000221 STATUS_IMAGE_CHECKSUM_MISMATCH: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/101096

Saturday, December 1, 2007 11:45 PM
  • Thank you for the link Carey, but I have already been to that page and read the answers/solutions. Unfortunately, I am not able to reinstall windows unless I format. When I boot from the win xp cd, it starts the xp setup, begins loading all the drivers and other files. Then when it gets to Starting Windows Setup, I get the error. So I'm guessing, I can only reinstall XP if I format first. The thing is, aside from not being able to activate XP or repair XP. I can get into windows in safe mode just fine. So I'm hoping theres some trick or solution out there that I can do, without having to format.

I'm slowly starting to accept that I may have to format and reinstall everything, but for now I'm trying everything I can before it comes to that.

If anyone else has any advice, please let me know, I'm willing to try anything. Thank you in advance.
    Sunday, December 2, 2007 12:27 AM
  • Hello GJameson,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Forum.  The purpose of this forum is the support of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program.  I suggest posting your question to Discussions in Windows XP General here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US

If you should have other non-WGA questions please visit our other communities for helpful information here:  http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/community.mspx .  Thank you for visiting the forum.

Thankyou,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 1:43 AM