Importing Data - error code RRS feed

• Question

• I followed the instructions of proper data importing.  When I imported my file I got the following error code:  0x80040353.  Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?
    Friday, February 10, 2012 9:45 PM

All replies

• Usually the data import wizard will say specifically what the error is.  Because of the generic error message you are indicating, there may be a plugin or script that is validating the data for one or more of the fields.  You would see if there was a plugin and which one it was if you ran a platform trace while importing.

As a test, reduce what you are importing to a single record.  Then only map a few of the fields and try to import.  Remember to map any required fields for this entity.

You can also confirm that the data import is functional by exporting 1 record and then importing it again.

Jason Peterson

Friday, February 10, 2012 10:26 PM
  • The error, 0x80040353, means that the lookup reference could not be resolved. For example, if you import contacts and there is a value in the Parent Customer field that cannot be resolved to another account or contact then you'll get this error. The error will occur if CRM cannot find exactly one record that exactly matches the value in your import file.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Saturday, February 11, 2012 3:02 PM
  • Sorry, I should have also provided some hints for resolving this error. Check your import file and look at the row that failed to import and the value that caused the error. Search CRM for this record. For example, if you were importing contacts and a contact failed to import because the lookup reference "Microsoft Corporation" could not be resolved, then search your accounts for "Microsoft Corporation" -- you might find that there is no account record or more than one account record called "Microsoft Corporation".

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. Twitter. Join over 20,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Saturday, February 11, 2012 3:06 PM