Backup no longer works on one XP PC - Event id 770 RRS feed

• Question

• I backup 3 Windows 7 PCs and one XP PC. Suddenly the XP PC gets an error when the backups try to start. In the event log on the XP PC I see the following error:

Event Type:    Error
    Event Source:    HomeServer
    Event Category:    HomeBackup
    Event ID:    770
    Date:        11/12/2010
    Time:        13:39:32
    User:        N/A
    Computer:    IBM-394BE8DB432
    Description:
    Backup set 0 on  failed: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 192.168.0.197:8912
       at System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient..ctor(String hostname, Int32 port)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.BackupProtocol.OpenServer()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.BackupProtocol..ctor(String serverName, Int32 LowestVersion)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.Run()

On the WHS PC, I see the following error, but have been unable to find that message anywhere.

Received abort message from IBM-394BE8DB432 with reason 7.

The weird thing is that I know WHS is getting to the PC, because I see the "Backup started" message. It sits there for awhile and then I get the error message:

"The backup failed because of a problem with you Windows Home Server Connector software. The system event log contains more details"

The IP 192.168.0.197:8912 in the event error is the WHS IP address. The IP of the XP PC is 192.168.0.199. The event error seems to indicate that WHS is refusing the connection, on the XP PC, but I do have Printer and file sharing on and my firewall has exceptions for all the programs associated with backup. I also did a CHKDSK C:/f on the drive and that didn't help.

I would appreciate any ideas anyone has to fix this. I an really unsure where to look to see why the connection was refused.

Thanks, Mike

Mike - 1064091
    Friday, November 12, 2010 11:02 PM

Answers

• That didn't help, but I continued to look at the problem and finally figured it out. The machine I am backing up is my work computer and we recently had to install something called SOCKS on that machine. As soon as I disabled that application, then everything worked. Just have to remember to deactivate it every day before I stop work.

Mike - 1064091
    • Marked as answer by MrMikeH Monday, November 15, 2010 10:39 PM
    Monday, November 15, 2010 10:38 PM

All replies

• Run

chkdsk /r

on the client machine.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 12:22 AM
  • That didn't help, but I continued to look at the problem and finally figured it out. The machine I am backing up is my work computer and we recently had to install something called SOCKS on that machine. As soon as I disabled that application, then everything worked. Just have to remember to deactivate it every day before I stop work.

Mike - 1064091
    • Marked as answer by MrMikeH Monday, November 15, 2010 10:39 PM
    Monday, November 15, 2010 10:38 PM