Can someone please list a few possible causes for CRM not sending workflow e-mails to my exchange server? RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 CRM users with identical front end settings on their usser accounts. 1 can successfully trigger e-mails when creating an entity via a workflow (status reason of the activity is "Sent"), and the other cannot successfully trigger e-mails when creating an entity via a workflow (status reason of the activity is "Pending Send"). I have verified with IT that the e-mails triggered by the successful user reach the exchange server and are sent to the appropriate management personnel. I have also verified with them that the e-mails triggered by the unsuccessful user never reach the exchange server and are not sent to anyone. There are other CRM users that are generating e-mails not being sent to the exchange server as well - I believe the culprit is the CRM for Outlook Plugin, but I don't yet know enough about how it works to say for sure.

I am new to CRM and am trying to get my head around what is physically going on when CRM generates the e-mail and logs it as an activity of status pending and sends it to the exchange server - particularly, the way or ways in which it sends it to the exchange server.

One thing I noticed that can't be a coincidence...the user that could successfully trigger the workflow e-mails as well as all of the other users that can successfully trigger these workflow e-mails have the CRM Plugin for outlook installed. The one user I have been using as my test user that cannot successfully trigger these workflow e-mails did not have the CRM for outlook plugin installed. I installed it today for her, verified the presence of the CRM toolbar in Outlook, ran the auto configuration successfully, and had her create another entity hoping that would trigger the workflow this time..but still no dice unfortunately. I did notice that in the plugins config wizard it said there was a pending restart, could that be the reason it didn't work that last time, and after she restarts it will work?

I'm trying to get this resolved this week, and I will try again tomorrow to have her restart - hopefully that does it, but if not, can someone please point me in the right direction as to how to determine what is preventing these workflow e-mails  from being sent to our exchange server?

Thanks in advance for any advice and assistance!

UPDATE 1/26: I now have got this working for other users simply by installing the CRM for Outlook Plugin...but all of them are on XP boxes. I cannot get my Win 7 users to successfully trigger the workflow e-mails and send to exchange server. I know 7 is a little crazier about the necessary credentials before it will allow much to happen...There is a checkbox through outlook to "Allow E-mail router to use my credentials to sen and receive e-mail on my behalf". What credentials? Domain Login and password? If so, would it be [Domain]\[Domain ID] or would it just be Domain ID? The fields aren't validated, so I can't tell, and it would make my troubleshooting easier.

Thanks again!!

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 2:25 AM