IE7 RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am on the Liveonecare 90 day trial and recently was stopped from using my internet access, I found this was because I should update to IE7.   Now I was under the impression that IE7 was already installed months before I started the Live One care trial... after checking with 'winver' it appears that I am still using IE5.   IE7 is not recognised although it shows up on the Add or Remove program.    Now my problem is that I am unable to change or remove it as this instruction does not show against IE7.

I am using XP with service pk 2 and LOC installed service pk3.     Please be very explicit and keep any instructions really simple.  Thanks.    

Friday, September 12, 2008 9:39 AM

Answers

All replies

•  

I have been unable to access emails from my computer over the last several weeks.     The Outlook Express error message reads -  A time-out occurred while communicating with the server.  Account 'pop3blueyonderco.uk(1).'   Server 'pop3blueyonder.co.uk'    Protocol: 'POP3. Port:110. Secure (SSL): No error number 0x800CCC19.     Help, please keep any answers very simple.

I am using XP professional service pack2 and am in the last few weeks of the Live one care 90 day free trial.   Service pack 3 installed with the LOC.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 3:09 PM
  • I would recommend contacting your ISP for help in checking the configuration of your email settings. You can also look for help with Outlook Express in the newsgroups for that program. 

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx

OneCare won't be the cause of your problem as it would have caused issues on day one, had it blocked Outlook Express, which is normally allowed without prompting since it is a recognized program.

-steve

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 6:17 PM
  • I think that your best bet is to contact support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, September 12, 2008 5:42 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Steven.   I had actually tried that path and had been referred back to these sites but I thought I would give it one more go so I did what you suggested. and on Monday got a reply asking for more info.  I have spent hours trying to type the info in that small box, but, for one reason or other the emails are not accepted.     This last try appears to have been because it does not accept my telephone number but it is the only one I have.

It would be better if their conditions for giving FREE help were spelt out instead of sending people around in circles.

I have tried the telephone method but am unwilling to pay £46+ as I do not have that amount to spare.

Anyway, Steven,  thanks for trying.

panzy 

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 6:51 AM
  • Thank you Steven, I have received a reply from WLOC team, but can't reply to them!   So I am still unable to send or receive emails.    

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 7:40 AM
  •  

My apologies, in trying to let you know my progress, I have just discovered your previous comment.   I did contact my ISP when I first lost the access to my emails at the beginning of July.     I was asked to check the cables and they were OK, the lights on the modem -  cable and power are steady lights, the PC is a flashing light, the ISP rep said the connection was therefore ok.    I should take it up with LOC as that was the new installation.    I also followed your printed reply to contact LOC support, which I did and tried the suggestion of turning off LOCFW. but the situation remains the same.    Yes, I have remembered to turn the FW back on again!!!!

My problem now is that I am unable to contact LOC support team as my emails to them from the ISP site is not accepted also the emails from the Help site using the Windows Live onecare ID. is not being accepted.

It just feels like one goes from pillar to post without getting any further.

But Steven, thank you for your time.

panzy

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 8:09 AM
  • panzy,

Thank you for visiting the OneCare program forums.

Was this post split off from another post? which email address are you using that cannot be sent to the LOC support

team? and what email program are you using?

Lori MS

Monday, September 22, 2008 11:03 PM
  • Panzy, sorry for my delayed reply.

If you received a reply from support, there would be no box to type into, you would reply to the email to provide more information.

If your problem is caused by Service Pack 3, then support for that is free - 

http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1173#tab2

There is also support for IE7 available: 

Internet Explorer 7 Solution Center

-steve

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 3:05 PM
  •  panzy wrote:

My apologies, in trying to let you know my progress, I have just discovered your previous comment.   I did contact my ISP when I first lost the access to my emails at the beginning of July.     I was asked to check the cables and they were OK, the lights on the modem -  cable and power are steady lights, the PC is a flashing light, the ISP rep said the connection was therefore ok.    I should take it up with LOC as that was the new installation.    I also followed your printed reply to contact LOC support, which I did and tried the suggestion of turning off LOCFW. but the situation remains the same.    Yes, I have remembered to turn the FW back on again!!!!

My problem now is that I am unable to contact LOC support team as my emails to them from the ISP site is not accepted also the emails from the Help site using the Windows Live onecare ID. is not being accepted.

It just feels like one goes from pillar to post without getting any further.

But Steven, thank you for your time.

panzy

I have merged your three threads into one, Panzy. And, while searching for the threads to join, I discovered another that you posted to where Jim provided you instructions for help with IE7 and OneCare.

At this point, the best thing that I can suggest is that you follow the instructions for how to contact support:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

- and select the phone options as a subscriber to OneCare. If you are unable to do this, use your ISPs web mail interface, if they have one, or open a free web mail account with Hotmail (www.hotmail.com) or other provider and contact me via email:

Send me an email at sboots@mvps.org with a subject line including "OneCare" (to get past my spam filtering) and in the message body, tell me what country you are in, your forum nickname, and paste this link

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3886817&SiteID=2

in the message body. I am not online 24x7, so you may be waiting for a reply, but I'll do my best to hook you up with support.

-steve

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 4:16 PM
  • I have similar problems as well. Here is my two cents.

After installing OneCare, when I check my windows mail, I get error 0x800ccc19. I know my outgoing and incoming mail protocol is set up correctly. I can send mail fine and if I send mail out before checking my incoming mail I receive my incoming mail no problem. If I check my incoming it will try to receive the first message and hangs until it times out. Sometimes it even will retrieve the first message but won't retrieve the remainder. Sometimes it works ok.

I never had this problem before installing One Care. If I uninstall OneCare the problem goes away. I have tried this repeatedly. I have even did a clean install of Vista and duplicated the problem.

I have contacted support about the problem and they seem to supply generic answers that are of no help. I even wonder if they read what I wrote because the answers are not even relevant sometimes. Other times it seems like they are just reading back what I wrote. I have actually found better suggestions on other forums than OneCare support has suggested. OneCare support pretty much says the problem isn't caused by OneCare software but when you Google the problem there are scores having the same exact issue.

I personaly believe there is an email scanner that is not initailizing properly however there are no options to turn OneCare on or off. At least not that I have found.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 8:10 PM
  • Magic Dave, there is no email scanner in OneCare. The reason for this problem is msot likely that your previous security software, which included email scanning, has not been properly removed. Norton and McAfee are both notorious for this. Most vendors provide a cleanup tool to remove their products completely from the system:

Norton Removal Tool - ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

McAfee Removal Tool - http://www.majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Consumer_Product_Removal_Tool_d5420.html

And, support may provide generic answers, but they should be able to determine the cause of the conflict by reviewing your system details.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, January 19, 2009 6:18 PM