8TB Drive not reporting accurate drive size or space usage RRS feed

• Question

• How do you get WHS to report the accurate drive size? I have 4ea 2TB drives in an 8TB array that reports hieroglyphics when you try to ask what space is used or available.

WHS with SP2

8TB array

drives don't report correctly in file explorer, my computer, Computer management console or Intel Matrix storage.

I do not know what to do!

Leroy Weber

Monday, June 11, 2012 6:07 PM

All replies

• Presumably you've used either BIOS functions or Intel Matrix Storage to define your RAID 0 array? I would recommend you let Windows Home Server manage your disks; don't use a stripe set (which is neither supported nor recommended, as it puts all of the data on all of the disks at risk if any disk in the array fails).

However, if Intel Matrix Storage isn't reporting correct information about the drives, you're likely to have a problem at the hardware or BIOS level.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Monday, June 11, 2012 7:06 PM
  • Hi Leroy,

if you tell about an array, on top of what Ken already mentioned, it won't make sense to use it in WHS v. 1 - WHS only supports basic disks and is therefore limited to 2 TB maximum drive size.

If you tell about adding 4 2 TB drives to the storage pool, this is only visible properly in the console. Explorer will give strange values due to a cosmetic bug involved with fixing another issue and Intel Matrix Storage is outside of this. The physical disks, however, should be recognized properly in disk management console or in device manager in this case. If they don't there could be still an hardware or driver issue.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 2:44 PM