wbadmin start backup -templateId RRS feed

• Question

• The only way to change the day-by-day backup is by scheduled task but this is only valid for sever side.
    If I configure my client backup, it always start at the time scheduled every day and it seems that's impossible to set 1 month backup (es.). Looking on server task I found this parameter -templateId followed by a numer+letter code between {}. Searching on regedit and hard drive I wasn't able to found this template.. maybe is there the way to schedule the client-side backup.

Does anyone know a way to do what I'm trying to do ?

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 12:17 AM

Answers

• Client computers are backed up to the server every night (assuming they're on and plugged in). There is no way to change this behavior other than by turning the client off.

The wbadmin task you found is for the server backup, and is completely unrelated to the client backup.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Edited by Ken Warren Tuesday, November 8, 2011 5:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Tuesday, November 8, 2011 5:34 AM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 5:33 AM
  • I was thinking.. maybe is there something on client... Tonight I'll check.
    This is the second "wall" I have to face... whs 2011 is capable of great things but miss some details...

Others have tried to do what you want, and failed. The backup engine (on the client) creates a scheduled task (again, on the client). That task is reset (or recreated, if missing) each night as part of the backup process, and there's no way to defeat that functionality.
    • Marked as answer by c4os_ Tuesday, November 8, 2011 9:04 PM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 1:05 PM

All replies

• Client computers are backed up to the server every night (assuming they're on and plugged in). There is no way to change this behavior other than by turning the client off.

The wbadmin task you found is for the server backup, and is completely unrelated to the client backup.

• Edited by Ken Warren Tuesday, November 8, 2011 5:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Tuesday, November 8, 2011 5:34 AM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 5:33 AM
    This is the second "wall" I have to face... whs 2011 is capable of great things but miss some details...

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 9:53 AM

Others have tried to do what you want, and failed. The backup engine (on the client) creates a scheduled task (again, on the client). That task is reset (or recreated, if missing) each night as part of the backup process, and there's no way to defeat that functionality.
    • Marked as answer by c4os_ Tuesday, November 8, 2011 9:04 PM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 1:05 PM

We'll see, I have changed the scheduled backup to 1st sunday on December ^^
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 9:09 PM
  • We'll see, I have changed the scheduled backup to 1st sunday on December ^^
    If you've edited the scheduled task, backup will not run until Dec.4th. When it does run, the task will be reset to running every day.
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 12:32 PM