WHS and Bitdefender 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello
    After installing Bitdefender Internet Security 2010 I cannot backup my computers anymore to WHS, on both of my computers. After removing BD 2010 everything works fine. The problem is: when I start a manual backup I get an error message after a while that a Volume Shadow Copy could not be created and that CHKDSK /R should be executed - which I did without success.
    Has anyone the same experience?
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 6:36 AM

Answers

• Problem solved - by reinstalling Windows on my clients! It seems that there were some registry entries left from a previously installed Internet Security Suite from a different manufacturer!
    Friday, October 23, 2009 7:39 AM

All replies

• Hello
    After installing Bitdefender Internet Security 2010 I cannot backup my computers anymore to WHS, on both of my computers. After removing BD 2010 everything works fine. The problem is: when I start a manual backup I get an error message after a while that a Volume Shadow Copy could not be created and that CHKDSK /R should be executed - which I did without success.
    Has anyone the same experience?
    You proabably need to add a hole in the Bitdefender firewall to allow the traffic through.  See the Technical Brief for Home Networking for a list of ports that need to be open.
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 10:18 PM
  • Thank you. The fact is, that I set Bitdefender Firewall to always ask me to allow or deny Internet access to new programs. It asks me whether I want to allow access to the Home Server Console and Home Server Discovery, but it never aks me whether I want to allow the Backup Engine to access Internet! With BD 2009 I did not have this problem. I also created manually a rule to allow Backup Engine, but it didn't help. So it seems that trying to backup does not even leave my computer.
    I have read in several forums that I shoud re-register VSS und several dll files, but I only get errors when I try out, especially regserv32 ole32.dll.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 4:24 AM
  • Bitdefender 2010 Total Security comes with it's own backup solution which probably uses it's own vss writer, or even worse changes or disables the Microsoft vss writer. If you can install Bitdefender without the backup option please try. This will probably fix your problem.

Also please notifiy Bitdefender and file a bug on the Windows Home Server Connect Feedback site, instructions at the bottom of this page.

To file a bug you first need to search in the search box top right of the Feedback page, then on the result page you will find an option to submit your own feedback bottom left of the page. Please post a link to the bug report overhere.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 9:34 AM
  • Yes, I think that there will be the problem. It is not possible to install Bitdefender Total Security without the backup option. And once installed and then uninstalled, there will possibly remain some components on the computer which cannot be easily removed. I reinstalled the 2009 version, but the problem remained. As I had no problems with 2009 version BEFORE installing 2010, I think the new version will have changed something. I also have informed Bitdefender of this problem.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 12:28 PM
  • Instead of uninstalling revert to a system restore point XP)  (or look here for Vista) prior to your to the Bitdefender 2010 installation.

Would be very nice of you could also file a bug report on Connect Feedback site before doing this. This will give the WHS team a chance to look at this problem and (hopefully) work with Bitdefender to solve the issue for future releases of Bitdefender.

Please NOTE, if Bitdefender messes up WHS backup functionality it could potentially also mess up creation of new system restore points, making your system even more vulnerable (unless you switch to the Bitdefender Backups).
    Monday, October 19, 2009 12:46 PM
  • I have another computer with similar configuration, and also BD 2010 on it, and here it works! I cannot see any difference, so I am not sure anymore if the problem is really with BD. What I discovered is, that I cannot register swprv.dll any more.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 7:32 AM
  • Are you executing the net stop vss and net stopswprv commands before trying to register the dll files? If yes:

On the problematic computer please run chkdsk /r (from a command prompt) on al partitions. If that has finished reboot and run sfc /scannow from a command prompt (elevated command prompt if you're on Vista). You may need the original OS installation disk if it finds corrupted or missing files. Please do not try and download missing dll's from obscure sources!
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:27 AM
  • Yes, I did it like that. I have rn chkdsk also, and sfc /scannow,not missing or corrupt files found.
    I gave it up... I restored a backup from my Home Server - the last one before installing Bitdefender 2010, and everything works fine. I think I will go on like that, and not update to 2010.
    Anyway, another computer runs with Bitdefender Total Security 2010, and the WHS backups work - I wonder why.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:00 PM
  • Problem solved - by reinstalling Windows on my clients! It seems that there were some registry entries left from a previously installed Internet Security Suite from a different manufacturer!
    Friday, October 23, 2009 7:39 AM