Cannot Install Connector Software on XP SP3 Machine RRS feed

• Question

• I have successfully updated/installed the PP1 Connector software on all my Vista machines (some 32-bit, others 64-bit) without a problem, but I cannot install on my sole XP machine.  I go to Software\Home Server Connector Software and run WHSConnectorInstall.exe.  The installer then finds the WHS server and commences to download the software - and that's where it hangs - "Downloading software from your home server BRUTUSXXL, 0% complete"  It never moves from here.

Any ideas?  It appears that I cannot manually install by copying the content locally to the XP machine, it always wants to find the msi file on the server.  I can otherwise browse the server, copy files etc with no problem

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 4:55 PM

Answers

• Rvacha

Try going to the shared folder "software" in the server , than click in the connector software folder and run the "setup.exe", not the *.msi or it will not run.

Than it asks for your server password, after that it can't be easier.

I upgraded one xp home edition with sp3 installed using the automated connector install, but i installed the connector in another pc with xp home edition with sp3 by doing has i described. Both work great.

The problem you're having may have something to do with your network, but than again, i'm not an expert.

Hope i helped.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 5:52 PM

All replies

• Wonder if this has anything at all to do with the price of eggs?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951607/en-us

Still.....

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 5:00 PM
  • Please try going to http://<servername>:55000 - do you see a web page that allows you to install the COnnector?

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 5:20 PM
  • The Microsoft Terminal Services Client Control ActiveX control referenced there is nowhere to be found on my XP machine.  I'm not sure how to get it installed since supposedly it was installed (but disabled) by default in SP3.  Any ideas?

But is this really my issue if I can clearly read and execute the exe?  Does terminal services have some kind of specific heartburn with msi files?

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 5:25 PM
  •  T. Headrick wrote:

Please try going to http://<servername>:55000 - do you see a web page that allows you to install the COnnector?

Yes.  This is the method I first attempted.  The Windows Home Server Connector Setup page loads, and I can click on the "Download Now" button.  As with the manual approach described above the install exe will run... then get stuck downloading at 0%

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 5:40 PM
  • Rvacha

Try going to the shared folder "software" in the server , than click in the connector software folder and run the "setup.exe", not the *.msi or it will not run.

I upgraded one xp home edition with sp3 installed using the automated connector install, but i installed the connector in another pc with xp home edition with sp3 by doing has i described. Both work great.

The problem you're having may have something to do with your network, but than again, i'm not an expert.

Hope i helped.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 5:52 PM
  •  PTwhs08 wrote:

Rvacha

Hope i helped.

PTwhs08

That did the trick - Thanks!

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 6:04 PM
  • If anyone else runs into the 0% PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let us know via Connect.

Rvacha wrote:

T. Headrick wrote:

Please try going to http://<servername>:55000 - do you see a web page that allows you to install the COnnector?

Yes.  This is the method I first attempted.  The Windows Home Server Connector Setup page loads, and I can click on the "Download Now" button.  As with the manual approach described above the install exe will run... then get stuck downloading at 0%

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 10:42 PM