multiple svchost.exe running RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure if this is normal but when I open task manager I have 7 svchost.exe tasks running... is this normal? If not how do I figure out which ones I can close/get rid of? I have the latest Norton's and am using a firewall, but I heard that these might be trojans or something... anyone have any light they can shed on this?
    Monday, May 21, 2007 7:54 PM

All replies

• So no one ever answered this one, eh? I am having the same issue - and have the same question. I just had to reboot after a MS patch install and the start up was taking forever. In opening Task Manager I noticed that there were SEVEN instances of SVCHOST.exe running... Now it's down to six and one of them is just sucking memory. Three of them are showing under the User Name "SYSTEM"; two are "NETWORK SERVICE" and one is "LOCAL SERVICE". I too have Norton installed and running (the complete System Works package) and use a firewall, but I am concerned about these multiple instances draining memory.

So I am going to ask along with ghpro... can anyone shed any light on this?

-JZZ

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 12:51 PM
  • Sorry not to be of any help ghpro, but i am having this problem as well and I can't figure out how to fix it, so I am just adding my voice to this thread in the hope that someone posts a solution soon.

Sunday, November 18, 2007 3:16 PM