Remote Desktop Shows Black Screen RRS feed

• Question

• I'm unable to get Remote Desktop to display my XP Service Pack 2 home system. At first, I was seeing the "squished" screen where the mouse position was offset. I then updated the Nvidia graphics drivers on the remote system, and now see only a black screen. When I remote in from another system at home, I see the mouse moving around on the target system, so things are working - I just can't see the desktop. I am using an admin account.

Interestingly, I can successfully use Remote Desktop to connect to my Macbook Pro running XP under Parallels - works perfectly! Well done Microsoft - this is very useful to me.

Sean
    Friday, November 7, 2008 6:20 PM

Answers

• Please send me Live Mesh Logs from the affected machine (the one showing black screen, not the one you are connecting to that machine with).

Start Menu:   Click 'Start' and then 'All Programs' so that you are looking at the program folder for Live Mesh.  Now in the program folder for Live Mesh you will see the option for 'Collect Live Mesh Logs'.

·         A cab file will be generated and placed on your Desktop.

Thanks!

Tim

Program Manager | Live Mesh
    Friday, November 7, 2008 11:27 PM
  • Please open an email thread with me on LMPREV@Microsoft.com so that we can track this investigation there.  Please reference this thread so that I can link the two threads.

Thank you,

Tim
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 5:25 PM

All replies

• I've been a victim of this. In my case, I had some other remote control software installed, and it had installed some WinVNC drivers. Once I removed that, things have worked great. Until the latest beta release, where I'm now also seeing the squashed image and the mouse is offset.

Have you ever had it work against this machine? If not, you might want to look at Device Manager and see what display drivers and display information shows up.
    Friday, November 7, 2008 7:15 PM
  • Thanks for the response. No, I have never been able to get this PC to work properly with Mesh Remote Desktop. I don't think I've ever loaded any other remote control software, but will start digging. It's strange that it went from the squished screen to a black screen after updating the drivers.

Sean (Guy with 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 goats)
    Friday, November 7, 2008 7:56 PM
  • Please send me Live Mesh Logs from the affected machine (the one showing black screen, not the one you are connecting to that machine with).

Start Menu:   Click 'Start' and then 'All Programs' so that you are looking at the program folder for Live Mesh.  Now in the program folder for Live Mesh you will see the option for 'Collect Live Mesh Logs'.

·         A cab file will be generated and placed on your Desktop.

Thanks!

Tim

Friday, November 7, 2008 11:27 PM
  • Tim,

I can't seem to create the cab file with the logs - Collect Live Mesh Logs flashes a Command Window but no file is created. I do see the log files in the Live Mesh/Remote Desktop folder - should I just Zip those up and send them to you?

Thanks for your help,

Sean
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 1:06 AM
  • Are you logged on as an administrator?

Tim

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 12:11 AM
  • Tim,

Yes, I am an administrator. Any other ideas on why the Log File Collection isn't working?

Anyhow, I manually zipped up the Remote Desktop log files and sent them in a few days ago.

Thanks for your help.

Sean
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 7:09 PM
  • I am still not certain why the Live Mesh log file creation utility was/is failing.  Thank you for being so patient and helping us to investigate this issue.  We are looking into a few Live Remote black screen issues that appear to have something to do with corrupted or multiple installations of the Live Mesh virtual display device driver.  Most times customers can uninstall Live Mesh, go into Device Manager and remove any driver found there referencing Live Mesh, then reboot and reinstall and everything is fine.

We are still investigating a good work around for those few customers that this does not work for as well as a solution to the greater cause of these issues.  This is a relatively rare issue to encounter.

Thanks,

Tim
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 7:59 PM
  • Tim,

Thanks for the suggestions. I uninstalled Live Mesh, removed the RD Curtain Driver and RD Desktop Mirror Driver, rebooted, then reinstalled Live Mesh. Unfortunately, the black screen remains. If you have any other suggestions, just let me know.

Thanks,

Sean
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:20 AM
  • Please open an email thread with me on LMPREV@Microsoft.com so that we can track this investigation there.  Please reference this thread so that I can link the two threads.

Thank you,

Tim
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 5:25 PM