Alternate between a set of messages/notes RRS feed

• Question

• I need to create some software for myself. I cant find anything similar out there that would do what I want. So I figure I could build the software myself. I would want a very simple solution. Actually, I found some software but it's way more complicated than it need to be.

I need a software where I could enter short messages to remind me of things when I'm sitting in front of the computer. So let's say there is three different messages/reminders. Then I would want to alternate between these messages, with mayby 30-60 minutes intervals, and each time a window pops up with the message.

If this would be some professional software I would want something like:
    Create new reminder pop-up
    Subject
    Save (then store everything in a database)

But since I will just use it myself I could settle with a very simple solution:
    For example I could write the messages directly in the code
    Store the messages in an array and alternate between them
    Then use the Scheduler in Windows to set the intervalls, and just have the form window pop up.

But my problem is:
    How can I alternate between the messages/notes so that a different messages pops up everytime?

Maybe I need a database to keep track on which message to be run next time.

Saturday, February 3, 2018 9:29 PM

All replies

• Then I would want to alternate between these messages, with mayby 30-60 minutes intervals, and each time a window pops up with the message.

This part is not clear. There are many ways you can do what you want to do but I don't understand this part about alternating the messages. Would that be a totally random thing or is/are there some requirement(s) for what is selected? Also, would there be a need to remove the messages automatically, such as when something is completed or after a specified period of time, or would the messages be relatively static? There are details like that that are not clear.

It could be done using a database but if it is only two or three items then a database might be unnecessary. A very simple alternative would be the settings for the project.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Sunday, February 4, 2018 2:34 AM
  • Hi Jonas,

In addition to Sam, I also wonder what the type of your application is? Winform or Web or another projects? Which language?

>>How can I alternate between the messages/notes so that a different messages pops up everytime?

Also I'm not clear for your problem, maybe try to if/switch statement.

Regards,

Stanly

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 5, 2018 1:59 AM