Can not sign in to WHS2011 after upgrading to Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Since I have upgraded my pc to Windows 10, the WHS2011 connector icon is gray and I can't sign in unless it's in offline mode. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the connector and have also tried connecting with the server URL. Neither method worked. Is there a new version of the connector for Windows 10 or is there some other solution for this problem?
    Tuesday, August 25, 2015 3:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As blog - Client Connector availability with Windows Home Server, Small Business Server and Windows Server Essentials for Supported Client OS – mentioned, WHS 2011 connector should work on Windows 10:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2015/07/23/client-connector-availability-with-windows-home-server-small-business-server-and-windows-server-essentials-for-supported-client-os.aspx

Logon WHS and open Dashboard, then navigate to the problematic client computer, check the status of the computer confirm to see if it’s Online.

Besides, make sure your server is set up using the latest version image and is up to date. And, make sure the network connection between your server and the client computer works. On the client, ping the server with server name and IP address. 

If ping failed, post the error message and Ipconfig /all result here.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 8:34 AM
  • The status of the Windows 10 pc from the server is OFFLINE.

The server is up to date and was up to date before the pc was updated to Windows 10.

There is nothing wrong or not functioning with the network connection.

A ping of the server by name and IP address was successful.

I still can't sign in to the server unless I sign in offline.

• Proposed as answer by De Beus Thursday, September 3, 2015 11:35 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by De Beus Thursday, September 3, 2015 11:35 AM
    Thursday, August 27, 2015 4:46 AM
  • Hi,

You'll have to add the following lines to this XML-file on the server:

C:\Program Files\Windows Small Business Server\Bin\WebApp\ClientDeployment\packageFiles\supportedOS.xml

The following has to be added to the above mentioned xml-file:
    <OS Architecture="9" RequiredProductType="1" RequiredSuite="" ExcludedSuite="512" SPMinor="" SPMajor="" Build="10240" Minor="0" Major="10" Name="Windows 10, AMD64" id="9"/>
    <OS Architecture="0" RequiredProductType="1" RequiredSuite="" ExcludedSuite="512" SPMinor="" SPMajor="" Build="10240" Minor="0" Major="10" Name="Windows 10, x86" id="10"/>

Best Regards,

Edwin van Beusekom

• Proposed as answer by De Beus Thursday, September 3, 2015 12:07 PM
    Thursday, September 3, 2015 11:39 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry, but my server does not have a file called Windows Small Business Server.

Friday, September 4, 2015 2:30 AM
  • Hi,

You may reference below blog to narrow down this problem(as a reference for WHS):
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2009/01/30/why-is-my-computer-status-not-showing-online-in-the-sbs-console.aspx

If the problem persists, is there any error message when you failed to sing in? 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 6:55 AM
  • On my PC, which I also recently upgraded from Windows Pro Media Center 8.1 to Windows Pro 10, I had/have the same problem.  I finally put an icon for the "SERVICES" panel on my desktop so I can remedy the problem.  Go to the SERVICES panel (control panel / Administrative Tools / Services) and scroll down to the WINDOWS SERVER entries. They may be listed as "automatic" but mine aren't starting "automatically."  My Launchpad will start up after I start up:  Windows Server Initialization Service, Windows Server Client Computer Backup Provider Service, and/or Windows Server Health Service.  Basically, I just "START" them all.  Works for me .. just wish it worked "automatically" as it should.  Somebody must have left out a line of code somewhere.
    Wednesday, September 9, 2015 6:52 PM
  • Hi Vickie,

The only Service I needed to start was Windows Server Initialization Service, now on automatic. The other services were already started and on automatic. After a restart, WSIS status is not started but on automatic. Perhaps that is ok. I still can't sign in to the server unless I choose offline. Also the Alert window pops up with the Alert Viewer Error message: Alert notices are not available in the Alert Viewer due to an error, or incomplete action, or a service has stopped working (not sure which one). Also says Local and server connection unavailable. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Thursday, September 10, 2015 1:25 AM
  • How do the blog instructions apply to my server, which is a WHS2011 server? Is there equivalent instructions for the WHS2011 server?

I don't receive any error messages aside from the one for the Alert Viewer and the notice that I can't sign in online.

The Dashboard shows the Windows 10 pc status as offline.

Backup status is unknown.

Thursday, September 10, 2015 3:00 AM
  • Agree with Vickie; same problem after upgrade from win 8.1 pro with MC to win 10. Launchpad icon is grayed out and the computer is showing as offline even though it is not. Uninstall/reinstall connector no help. UEFI hotfix installed on server. Latest version of connector. On my client machine also the whs 2011 services were not running, even  though the startup type is listed as "automatic." When I start the services manually, the icon greens, dashboard works and the computer shows as online.

Microsoft: why does win 10 not start the services automatically?

Friday, September 25, 2015 1:37 AM
  • Hello Rgiskard and Edwin van Beusekom

I saw this thread, while I was searching for other information relating to Windows Home Server 2011.  I am in the process of setting up Windows Home Server 2011 in my home-office, to replace another computer running Windows Home Server v. 1.0 (i.e. the original version of Windows Home Server), which has been in use for many years, to good effect.

I realise this discussion is a little old, but I thought I would add some detail here, which may be of help to other readers attempting to follow these instructions, as they apply to making Windows 10 client computers function correctly in conjunction with  a Windows Home Server 2011 server.

On a computer running Windows Home Server 2011, the XML-file to be edited on the server is:

C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WebApps\Client\Package\supportedOS.xml

Thank you Edwin van Beusekom for posting this solution.

Regards,

Peter Selig

Monday, October 5, 2015 1:41 AM
  • Many thanks Vickie, I have 2 identical PC's one upgraded to Win 10 ok, the other had this problem. So I knew it was not a server issue.

Your description is good. and easy to follow. Thanks

BTW, I only needed to start Windows Server Initialization Service after which the other started themselves.

• Edited by Tweeter103 Monday, October 5, 2015 2:20 AM
    Monday, October 5, 2015 2:19 AM
  • I just upgraded as well and found that I too have to manually start this service.  Hope MS fixes this issue soon!
    Thursday, October 15, 2015 1:07 PM
  • Vickie,

Thank you for your solution.  While it does not solve the problem completely, I found starting the Windows Server Initialization Service did the trick for me.  The only thing which I might add is that you must be logged in as an administrator to restart the file.

Sunday, November 22, 2015 10:13 PM
  • There is definitely something a little flakey going on.

A few weeks ago all was working well, multiple Win 10 Dell laptops, Win 7 and Win 8.1, all ok after ensuring that WSIS is running, as per above.

Recently I did a P2V from a Dell PE2950 to a different PE2950 running VM 6.0.

Also regular standard updates.

Now, after uninstalling and reinstalling the connector all the clients are working and reporting correctly...

BUT the server Dashboard is showing the clients as all "Offline" when clearly they are not, they can open files, and I even has instances of the Dashboard showing a client as "offline" and mid way through a backup, that completes successfully.

Reality, everything is working fine, just reporting badly.

Sunday, March 6, 2016 12:43 AM
  • I found another solution that worked for me.  I was missing the C:\Windows\System32\Task\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Server folder.  I recreated it and the connector software installed without error. See https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/09a41a60-1696-4341-85f8-a1373a46082e/windows-10-anniversary-update-breaks-whs-connector-install?forum=whs2011&prof=required
    Sunday, September 25, 2016 12:20 AM