Leak tests RRS feed

• Question

• Am I missing a setting in OC to prevent outbound messages?  I have run a leak test by PC Flank and each time the message is not detected by OC and is succesful in reaching it's destination.  Has anyone else had this problem or is it problem? I assume it is.

Friday, March 28, 2008 9:57 AM

Answers

• Interesting.

I just visited their site and downloaded the file for the test you ran. I see that it failed, but I also see *why* it failed. The program is apparently passing data to Internet Explorer, which *is* allowed to communicate to the Internet. It is a trusted application.

OneCare should protect against known malware or malware like behavior, but this program isn't actually exhibiting malware like behavior, I think.

However, I will pass this on to the OneCare team for review as I'm only observing what I saw and have read on the PC Flank Leak Test FAQ page. http://www.pcflank.com/pcflankleaktest_faq.htm

-steve

Friday, March 28, 2008 5:03 PM

All replies

• Outbound messages of what type? What are you trying to block? You can configure the firewall to always prompt you, which will be annoying, but that will block traffic until you approve it.

-steve

Friday, March 28, 2008 2:59 PM
  • I am just looking at why OC failed to stop PC Flank's leak test and allowed contact with their servers. Is this a larger problem. I have changed OC's status from Home to Public on the firewall and PC Flank can still get through??  I guess what I am asking is this really an issue?  If my PC is essentially clean and  OC is going to stop inbound malware do I need to worry about the PC Flank test and outbound traffic, other than what I have already allowed?

Mark

Friday, March 28, 2008 4:34 PM
  • Interesting.

I just visited their site and downloaded the file for the test you ran. I see that it failed, but I also see *why* it failed. The program is apparently passing data to Internet Explorer, which *is* allowed to communicate to the Internet. It is a trusted application.

OneCare should protect against known malware or malware like behavior, but this program isn't actually exhibiting malware like behavior, I think.

However, I will pass this on to the OneCare team for review as I'm only observing what I saw and have read on the PC Flank Leak Test FAQ page. http://www.pcflank.com/pcflankleaktest_faq.htm

-steve

Friday, March 28, 2008 5:03 PM
  • Thanks for checking. I hope the OC team can have some input.

Mark

Monday, March 31, 2008 10:29 AM
  • I know that my message was forwarded on for review, so I await a response along with you.

-steve

Monday, March 31, 2008 1:55 PM