Cacheing Proxy functionality RRS feed

• Question

• I know it has been suggested that WHS have firewalling/filtering capability which i diagree with since hardware solutions are cheaper, more reliable and more secure.

However it would be nice if WHS could provide proxy caching functionality similiar to squid proxy. With perhaps auto discovery. 

On a side note I currently run a Linux machine that manages DNS,WINS on my local house netwrok and acts as a web proxy cache. I would only consider replacing its funtionality with WHS if WHS supported the majority of these features.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 4:54 PM

All replies

• Caching proxy functionality: There are suggestions to this effect on Connect. See e.g. here, here, and here. I doubt we will see this in version 1, as at least one of those suggestions is marked as postponed. I think it unlikely that we will see this at all, though, because WHS isn't intended to be on the edge of your network, which is logically where a proxy server would reside.

Regarding your Linux machine: it's (obviously) intended to serve on the edge of your network. I don't think WHS is likely to offer any of those features; it's a different class of server for a different purpose. So no, WHS won't replace it.
    Thursday, March 22, 2007 2:41 PM
  • Only the first is within the scope of what i am talking about. If WHS is not intended to be on the endge of the netwrok they are going to need to provide detailed intructions on how to forward ports on the various hardware firewall systems in order to get the web based remote  desktop functionality to work.

Proxies do not have to live on the edge of a network if all it is doing is serving up cached content which is what i am talking about. i personally could care less about filtering. A web accelerator would better describe it as far as Joe user is concerned. My linux server sits behind my hardware firewall and is not at this time visble to the internet.

*Not to mention Microsoft needs to decide whether WHS is going to act like a server product with multiple server services and not just become a Massive JBOD Repository To Put All Your Crap in One Place Server if so i offer the name; for short Microsoft MJBODRTPAYCIOP server.

Thursday, March 22, 2007 8:30 PM