New Install of WHS Drive Configuration RRS feed

• Question

• OK all,
    I'm new here and have been looking for some information on the right way to do this but keep finding conflicting info.  I am doing a new install of WHS.  I have a new 1TB WD SATA drive and a 160GB IDE Drive.  My thought is to use the 160 IDE as the system drive and put the 1TB as a data drive.  I'll eventually be adding an additional 1TB drive to the system.  I read where some have done this while others use the biggest drive as the system drive (I guess as recommended).

If I use the 160 IDE as a system drive will it effect performance??

What would be the best way for me this up??

TIA
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 4:16 AM

Answers

• OK all,
    I'm new here and have been looking for some information on the right way to do this but keep finding conflicting info.  I am doing a new install of WHS.  I have a new 1TB WD SATA drive and a 160GB IDE Drive.  My thought is to use the 160 IDE as the system drive and put the 1TB as a data drive.  I'll eventually be adding an additional 1TB drive to the system.  I read where some have done this while others use the biggest drive as the system drive (I guess as recommended).

Not any more.  That recommendation is out of date now.  It no longer makes any difference.

Not likely.  The bottleneck on WHS is the network, not the drives.

TIA
    I believe the best way is to use your 160 GB drive as your primary (reason being WHS is more difficult to install on SATA drives unless you go to the BIOS and change your SATA controller to IDE/Legacy mode).
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, April 8, 2009 1:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by ctltd Wednesday, April 8, 2009 11:19 PM
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 4:24 AM

All replies

• OK all,

Not any more.  That recommendation is out of date now.  It no longer makes any difference.

Not likely.  The bottleneck on WHS is the network, not the drives.

TIA
    I believe the best way is to use your 160 GB drive as your primary (reason being WHS is more difficult to install on SATA drives unless you go to the BIOS and change your SATA controller to IDE/Legacy mode).
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, April 8, 2009 1:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by ctltd Wednesday, April 8, 2009 11:19 PM
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 4:24 AM
  • Thanks kariya21,

I appreciate your quick response.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009 5:18 AM