none
WHS and EPSON 4180 Scanner RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I just installed and configured my first Windows Home Server. No issues whatsoever for the standard installation - even the shared EPSON printer installed nicely. I run a 10-disk configuration (ASUS P5K plus Promise SATA 300 TX card), and all 4TB of media files loaded slowly but surely into the shares.

My only concern now is the use of my EPSON 4180 scanner as a shared device on WHS. The option of just connecting it to the near-by computer as before isn't feasible, it appears. That PC used to run 32bit Vista and no problemes with the scanner there, but now this PC is upgraded to a 64 Win7RC station and I have failed to find a suitable driver - Vista 64bit just does not work.

So I had hoped that someone had a solution from their own experience.

I can't find any Windows Server 2003 specific driver, is XP 32bit a viable try?

Hope to get some directions. I am totally dependent of scanning and the idea of having a 32bit workstation for that reason alone is appauling.

Other than that - a perfect start of a new computer life!
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 2:31 PM

Answers

Although I do not understand your first sentence, from what you say it may seem that I have to find a solution to my problem outside WHS. For sure, if I could get this scanner playing with Win7 on my WS, emulated or not, things would be fine. I have read something about XP native on Win7, so I will pursue that track.
    That is the gist of what Olaf is saying: connecting a device such as a scanner (designed to be used interactively) to your server is unsupported and not recommended. There's generally no support in the scanner software for sharing the scanner, so you have to use it on the server, which can be risky (more because it accustoms you to using your server like a desktop, so you'll tend to continue to do so, which can lead to system instability).

Your options are somewhat limited. The best idea is to configure (and dedicate) a single computer to scanning and initial image processing. This is what I've done at home; mine runs Windows XP. The system doesn't get a lot of software installed, so it's stable and reasonably fast, and I can continue to use my flatbed and slide scanners, which work fine but don't have Vista drivers. Obviously this requires space to set the additional computer up, and hardware.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by hauge48 Monday, May 11, 2009 8:52 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by hauge48 Monday, May 11, 2009 8:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by hauge48 Monday, May 11, 2009 8:54 PM
    Monday, May 11, 2009 3:47 PM

All replies

• Using the server desktop for anything else than administrative tasks, may violate the EULA and is not supported.
    While 32 Bit XP drivers will often work on server 2003 (if you can get them installed), this specific task requires also to activate additional services on the server. (Windows Image Accquisition comes into mind.)
    Bad or incompatible drivers may also have side effects for your server functionality.

Another option would be to install a virtual machine with Windows XP on your client PC. You will need to find a software, which supports USB ports (like VMWare 6, which costs some money, not sure about some of the freeware alternatives, maybe VirtualBox from Sun provides this feature also).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 8:03 PM
  • Thank you, Olaf, for engaging in my problem.

Although I do not understand your first sentence, from what you say it may seem that I have to find a solution to my problem outside WHS. For sure, if I could get this scanner playing with Win7 on my WS, emulated or not, things would be fine. I have read something about XP native on Win7, so I will pursue that track.

To pick up:
    Best greeting from Sweden (although being a Norwegian)
    Finn
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 8:57 PM
  • I had a similar problem with vista64 bit and my aging hp printer, can't remember the exact fix but it was along the lines of adding the printer as a local printer (yes even though it's networked) and then setting the port as the network path e.g. \\whserver\myPrinter. Google should provide you with more details.
    Monday, May 11, 2009 7:25 AM
  • I had a similar problem with vista64 bit and my aging hp printer, can't remember the exact fix but it was along the lines of adding the printer as a local printer (yes even though it's networked) and then setting the port as the network path e.g. \\whserver\myPrinter. Google should provide you with more details.

The OP has a problem with a Scanner, which is usually more difficult to resolve than printer problems. The most scanners cannot be shared and even if, there must be software, which supports this for the OS.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, May 11, 2009 11:11 AM
    That is the gist of what Olaf is saying: connecting a device such as a scanner (designed to be used interactively) to your server is unsupported and not recommended. There's generally no support in the scanner software for sharing the scanner, so you have to use it on the server, which can be risky (more because it accustoms you to using your server like a desktop, so you'll tend to continue to do so, which can lead to system instability).

Your options are somewhat limited. The best idea is to configure (and dedicate) a single computer to scanning and initial image processing. This is what I've done at home; mine runs Windows XP. The system doesn't get a lot of software installed, so it's stable and reasonably fast, and I can continue to use my flatbed and slide scanners, which work fine but don't have Vista drivers. Obviously this requires space to set the additional computer up, and hardware.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by hauge48 Monday, May 11, 2009 8:52 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by hauge48 Monday, May 11, 2009 8:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by hauge48 Monday, May 11, 2009 8:54 PM
    Monday, May 11, 2009 3:47 PM