Cannot connect to Live OneCare backup RRS feed

• Question

• I recently had to format my hard disk. I have a complete Windows Live backup available. When I open Live OneCare and click on the backup and restore line I get no response. Somehow I cannot connect to the back-up drive, which is connected via a USB port. The port is working OK in Device manager.

I need to get to my files in order to continue working on this computer (Vista Home Premium)

Microsoft support is quite useless. All I get are screens with FAQ's and other links which have no bearing on my problem.

Can anyone suggest a remedy?

Thanks. I will watch this on my other computer which is the one I am using now. Reason? I cannot access the Internet on the problem computer, in spite of a good ethernet cable. It cannot find a network adapter on that machine, even though there was an excellent working one before I formatted.
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 9:50 PM

Answers

•  

The pc needs to be online or should have an internet access in order to configure the backup/restore settings.
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 1:52 AM

All replies

•  

The pc needs to be online or should have an internet access in order to configure the backup/restore settings.
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 1:52 AM
  • Briadeaten, did you install the drivers for your network adapter?

Sunday, November 9, 2008 3:26 AM
  • Good question,  JimR1..  The answer is no.  Where would I find the drivers for my Network adapter?  The network  adapter in my device manager does not show any error and says it is working properly.

Thank you.
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 3:05 PM
  • If the network adapter shows OK in Device Manager the correct drivers are already installed. Can you establish a connection if you turn off the One Care firewall?

Sunday, November 9, 2008 3:25 PM
  • My network adapters are:

Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN and
    Realtek RTL8168.811 fAMILY PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC  (NDIIS 6.0)

Does this help you>
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 3:30 PM
  • No, I still cannot.  I am using an ehternet cable but the message says "Cannot find network adapters" and the connection stays local onkly, no network connection.
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 3:33 PM
  • Turn off your computer, unplug the power to your router, wait 30 seconds, plug the power cord back in to your router, wait 30 more seconds then start your computer. Try to connect to the internet.

Sunday, November 9, 2008 4:28 PM
  • Although the latest post to the thread does not indicate that it is resolved yet, I've marked the second post as the answer for now. And I've moved the thread to the backup topic folder.

-steve

Monday, November 10, 2008 2:42 AM