How many server needed for OCS Enterprise deployment? RRS feed

• Question

• i need to deploy Enterprise Edition but i dont know how many servers i need...can anyone help me?
    Friday, April 18, 2008 3:03 PM

All replies

•  

Hi,

It depends on what kind of functionality you want. You should take a look at the Enterprise Edition planning guide for OCS, but here's a quick summary:

1) you need at least 1 server to install OCS enterprise edition on for front end, a/v conferencing, web conferencing, and web components

2) you need at least 1 SQL 2005 server to host the OCS database - you can use an existing SQL server if you have one

3) if you would like to have external parties attend your live meetings or do IM with AOL, Yahoo!, or MSN, you need an Edge server

4) if you are connecting OCS to your phone system or to the PSTN, you need a mediation server

And I should note that OCS Enterprise Edition is really meant to sit behind a hardware loadbalancer. You can get away without a hardware load balancer, but you need to add a second IP address to your EE server.

Regards,

Matt

Friday, April 18, 2008 6:31 PM
  • u mean that, i need a hardware load balancer for Enterprise deployment?
    Monday, April 21, 2008 1:17 AM
  •  

Matt,

Can you elaborate on the need for a second IP address on the EE server? Specifically, why is this needed and how is it used? I’m struggling with an OCS Enterprise install where I have a single server. I’m trying to use the consolidated configuration to keep this simple since our requirements are (initially) only for a few hundred users. I know I will eventually have to add an edge server but don’t foresee a need for more than a single EE server.

Thanks for any help.

Andrew

Monday, April 21, 2008 4:03 PM
  • Sure - the story is that your EE server needs a name and an IP for itself (which makes sense). But you also need an OCS pool name and IP with enterprise edition. If you had 2 front ends, this would be the IP address of the load balancer and the DNS name that resolves to it - that also makes some sense. What is not so crystal is that that even if you only have a single EE server in consolidated config, you still need to have a pool name and IP assoicated with the pool. You don't have to have a hardware load balancer to do this; my suggestion is to just add a second IP to your NIC and create an entry in DNS that points to that IP.

This is going to make things easier for you when you do end up adding a second front end and a load balancer: all the configuration on the servers and the clients will already be pointing to the pool name rather than the server name.

Additionally, I have had some trouble with EE when I used a single IP in the same configuration that you have. It may not apply to your situation because it dealt with an LCS-to-OCS migration, but it just makes me think that there might also be some voodoo behind the scenes that's not worth messing with.

Regards,

Matt

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 4:56 PM
  • Hi,

Does anyone know if an EE deployment WITHOUT a hardware load balancer is officially supported by Microsoft ?

I was told by PSS back in LCS days, that an LCS Ent Edition deployment without the use of a Hardware Load Balancer is an unsupported configuration, even though you could get it to work...

Would be interested if anyone knows

cheers

Chris

Thursday, May 29, 2008 12:17 PM
  • I believe MS only supports EE with an approved hardware load balancer, but you can run a fully functional EE deployment with a single Front-End node without a hardware load balancer deployed.  Simply add the IP of the enterprise pool as a secondary IP address to the Front-End's NIC.  This scenario works fine in production, and I've even seen some references to it in some TechNet blogs somewhere, but I don't think I've seen it in any official documentation.

My gut feeling is that the supportability of that configuration would be up to PSS's discretion.  but as soon as a second EE Front-End server is deployed, then a HLB is necessary.

Thursday, May 29, 2008 1:13 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response Jeff, agreed it works well as is, but I normally try and get a supported solution in place for customers, so want to see if it is definitely supported, as you say it might just be a PSS "on a case basis"

I'll ask our TAM to check, and post back the results

cheers

Chris

Thursday, May 29, 2008 1:29 PM
  • I read somewhere in MS documentation that is supported: Check EE deployment guide... I think!

Thursday, June 12, 2008 11:20 PM
  • Why would you deploy OCS EE without multiple front end servers and a load balancer?  If redundant FE servers are not required, why not keep it simple and just deploy Standard edition?

Friday, June 13, 2008 5:12 AM
  •  

Hi,

the idea of the EE deployment at this stage is to allow for growth, as there may be big expansion in the future, so this prepares the setup early

I did get a reply from Microsoft, and it is fully supported by them to deploy an Enterprise Edition setup on a single server without a hardware load balancer.

As you say, as soon as a second server is used, you will need a hardware load balancer anyhow

Thanks,

Chris

Friday, June 13, 2008 9:13 AM
  • Future expansion makes perfect sense - I was curious to see if there was any other reason.  Thank you for sharing your response from MS.

Saturday, June 14, 2008 4:32 AM