Network Connection lost during backup RRS feed

• Question

• First post here.....

I have WHS installed on a PC with a Gbit NIC and all seems to work, the WHS can backup 3 of the 4 PCs in the house, two laptops and one desktop without issues.

The final PC a desktop running XP Pro sp2 always fails the backup with the following error:-

"The network connection between the computer and the server was lost. Client has not received some data that we no longer have buffered"

This happens anywhere between 25 and 75% completion.

The PC being backup up has a FE NIC and is on the same router as one of the laptops which is backed up successfully everytime. The laptop runs XP Pro sp2 as well.

Any help would be welcome.

Many thanks

MuckleEck
    Thursday, November 15, 2007 3:10 PM

Answers

• Hi all,

I found the answer, nothing to do with the network connection!

My motherboartd was using the nvidia Force 4 drivers which are incompatible with WHS.

The hard disk on the WHS was failing.

Using native WHS drivers now no problems.

Sorry for the confusion!

Thanks for the help

Alasdair
    Sunday, January 13, 2008 3:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you have another NIC you could try with, or check to see if there are any different drivers available for the one you've got?

Colin

Thursday, November 15, 2007 5:47 PM
  • WHS REALLY stresses your NIC drivers during the backup process.  I had a similar
    situation where a Vista box kept BSODing on me until I upgraded its NIC drivers.

I recommend you first try to upgrade the client NIC to the absolute latest drivers, and if that doesn't work...try a different NIC in the machine to see if that solves it.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 9:43 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestions guys, I have upgraded the drivers to the latest Dell/Intel drivers and no joy.

I shall need to remove another PCI card to try a separate NIC as I am using the onboard NIC at present.

What is confusing me more is that the PC in question used to have XP MCE on it and the backups worked, now that I have XP Pro the backups have failed.

I may also try rolling back the driver to an earlier one.

Will report back after the weekend...
    Thursday, November 15, 2007 10:48 PM
  • 1. Run chkdks /f on the disk / partition that fails. If the backup always fails at or near the same point this will likely help

2. Set nic to to fixed speed on client and WHS instead of auto-negotiate (for example 100BaseTx Full duplex)

Thursday, November 15, 2007 11:16 PM
  • Hi all,

I found the answer, nothing to do with the network connection!

My motherboartd was using the nvidia Force 4 drivers which are incompatible with WHS.

The hard disk on the WHS was failing.

Using native WHS drivers now no problems.

Sorry for the confusion!

Thanks for the help

Alasdair
    Sunday, January 13, 2008 3:39 PM
  • Glad you go it sorted!

The result may help other people's troubleshooting.

Colin

Sunday, January 13, 2008 5:46 PM