none
Windows Firewall settings RRS feed

• Question

• I've just installed the latest version of WHS and all was going swimmingly until I inadvertently installed the wrong driver for a PCI SATA controller (it's a long story  ) which resulted in the server failing to reboot.

So, I hit the old F8 key and did the Last Known Good configuration, whereon all the firewall settings for WHS disappeared.  Annoying.  So I hit the button to reset defaults, thinking this might put them back.  Except it then wiped out all the other ones I'd set for other apps I'd set up.  GAH!!

Luckily I knew the other ones (I'd only set them up minutes earlier) but the WHS ones are a different issue.  Now I'm having some problems getting some of the client ops to work.  I've sorted remote desktop and filesharing, they were easy enough.  However, the console now shows all my PCs are offline (even though they aren't), I'm not getting backups and the Connector won't contact the server.  If I turn the firewall off, it all works again.

So, to save me the pain of reinstalling (and putting back a quarter of a terabyte of data AGAIN) can anyone tell me what the firewall settings should be please?

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 5:51 PM

Answers

• File and Printer Sharing TCP 139, 445,137,138, Scope = My network (subnet) only
      Http TCP 88 scope = My network (subnet) only
      Http TCP 80 Scope = Any computer(including those on the Internet)
      Https TCP 444 Scope = My network (subnet) only
      Https TCP 443 Scope = Any computer(including those on the Internet)
      Remote Desktop TCP 3389 Scope = My network (subnet) only
      UPnP Framwork TCP 2869, UDP 1900 Scope = My network (subnet) only

Windows Home Server Computer Backup Scope =Subnet Path = C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\whsbackup.exe

Windows Home Server Diagnostics TCP 5247 Scope = Subnet
      Windows Home Server Remote Access TCP 4125 Scope Any computer(including those on the Internet)
      Windows Home Server Transport Service TCP 1138 Scope = My network (subnet) only

Windows Media Connect UDP 10284 Scope = My network (subnet) only
      Windows Media Connect UDP 10283 Scope = My network (subnet) only
      Windows Media Connect UDP 10282 Scope = My network (subnet) only
      Windows Media Connect UDP 10281 Scope = My network (subnet) only
      Windows Media Connect UDP 10280 Scope = My network (subnet) only
      Windows Media Connect TCP 10243 Scope = My network (subnet) only

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 11:45 PM

All replies

• File and Printer Sharing TCP 139, 445,137,138, Scope = My network (subnet) only
      Http TCP 88 scope = My network (subnet) only
      Http TCP 80 Scope = Any computer(including those on the Internet)
      Https TCP 444 Scope = My network (subnet) only
      Https TCP 443 Scope = Any computer(including those on the Internet)
      Remote Desktop TCP 3389 Scope = My network (subnet) only
      UPnP Framwork TCP 2869, UDP 1900 Scope = My network (subnet) only

Windows Home Server Computer Backup Scope =Subnet Path = C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\whsbackup.exe

Windows Home Server Diagnostics TCP 5247 Scope = Subnet
      Windows Home Server Remote Access TCP 4125 Scope Any computer(including those on the Internet)
      Windows Home Server Transport Service TCP 1138 Scope = My network (subnet) only

Windows Media Connect UDP 10284 Scope = My network (subnet) only
      Windows Media Connect UDP 10283 Scope = My network (subnet) only
      Windows Media Connect UDP 10282 Scope = My network (subnet) only
      Windows Media Connect UDP 10281 Scope = My network (subnet) only
      Windows Media Connect UDP 10280 Scope = My network (subnet) only
      Windows Media Connect TCP 10243 Scope = My network (subnet) only

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 11:45 PM
  • Thanks for posted info!

It hasn't resolved my issues but has pointed me (hopefully) in the right direction to resolving those issues:

- Home Server Connector not connecting (Responds with 'A network error has occurred .....')

- If I disable the Windows Firewall the response is 'password is invalid' ... or something to that effect

So, while I'm still trying to figure out what the real 'issue' is I now have info on the default firewall settings.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 12:42 AM
  • @ 1ne

Thanks for that - this has me within a whisker of the server being back to how it was.  I can now install the connector on a PC without having to drop the firewall first.  The only issue now is that I have to specify the server name (or IP address) as it won't find it on it's own.  I guess this isn't a firewall problem, though, as I was having that before.  I suspect my router isn't storing DNS addresses as well as I would like it to.

Anyway, thanks again buddy, that's got me out of a corner

Thursday, May 10, 2007 10:00 AM
  •  Lee Dodgson wrote:

@ 1ne

Thanks for that - this has me within a whisker of the server being back to how it was.  I can now install the connector on a PC without having to drop the firewall first.  The only issue now is that I have to specify the server name (or IP address) as it won't find it on it's own.  I guess this isn't a firewall problem, though, as I was having that before.  I suspect my router isn't storing DNS addresses as well as I would like it to.

Anyway, thanks again buddy, that's got me out of a corner

You're welcome.

This has help some people... If you ping your server by name and it does not reply with the correct IP then, try adding the IP of your WHS to the Host file on your PC's. The path to the host file C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

If your WHS's IP is XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX and the WHS is named SERVER, the line should look like.

127.0.0.1       localhost
    XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX        SERVER

Save and close.

You can try this too Simon.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 3:18 PM
  • Late with a response ... but better late than never!

Yes, I've double-checked and updated my HOST files on each machine so that they all contain the same info. Has made no difference ... so far ... and have even done another re-install/repair as well. The problem still stymies. But ... so far .... not swearing up a blue storm about 'crappy s/w' since I'm still impressed by WHS and its potential ... in a home-network environment.

Just completed applying of lates updates ... need to reboot .... and happy to see that I can now use IE7 as I do on my other systems ... would be interesting to see if any new 'glitches' appear after the reboot with IE7 installed (my initial experience with IE7 on Vista (Ultimate Ed) was not love-at- first-sight since it was more flaky on Vista than it was on Win2K3 at the time. It has since stabilised on Vista ... in my experience.

Saturday, May 19, 2007 11:30 PM
  • Here .. out of the blue is the answer to my original question about being able to get Home Connector to work .....

Thanks to Poster ..... Shoult 

Re: Active Directory + domain controller working!!! 

As I've stated before in other threads, t ...... you can't join the WHS CTP to a AD and you can't use the Connect CD to connect domain member computers to WHS any home user who already has an established AD domain will have to tear apart their working network  (including any file storage solution) to add a WHS box.

No more tearing my hair out over this issue!

Sunday, May 20, 2007 12:23 AM