Need help with Duplication RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I just purchased an Asus Home Server, it came with a 500GB drive. I added a 1000GB drive and set it up as a backup drive for file duplication. When looking at the drives the 1000GB is under a heading that says "Server Backup Hard Drives". When I go to the folders and try to check the duplicate box, nothing happens.

Am I doing something wrong here?

When I did the initial setup, the cehckbox worked. But after a few days I kept getting errors for all of these checked boxes. I unchecked all the boxes and all the errors went away, but now I cannot check the boxes again.

Thanks!

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 7:50 AM

All replies

• A backup drive is not part of server storage, and will not be used for duplication. You should remove the drive as a backup (remove it permanently, when asked) and add it to server storage.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 12:28 PM
  • Thanks for the Help!

Interesting,

OK, so I removed the drive (not physically), it did not mention about anything permanent. Then I re-attached it as server storage. Now the drive was re-labeled and it now comes up as "Storage Hard Drives" in the same area as the primary 500GB. But now, the size of the array is configured to 1.34TB.

Then I went over to the Shared Folders and clicked on each one as was able to check the duplicate box.

So, maybe I just do not understand how this Home Server works. I thought that yoiu added the 2nd drive like a Raid 1 storage device. But I guess this is not so ahrd and fast true anymore. If I understand this correctly me HS now has 1.34TB, but if I select a particular folder ans set it for duplication it will make sure that it gets duplicted on both drives. Correct?

Now, what about when a Home PC gets backed-up? It does not duplicate full backups right? Can it?

OK, one more question: How do I backup the actual HS itself? In case of crash? For this shoudl I buy like a 2TB external HD, plug it in once a month, back up the whole server then take it off site?

I need to make sure the files in this thing are safe, even if the house burns down.

Thanks!

Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:27 AM
  • Thanks for the Help!

Interesting,

OK, so I removed the drive (not physically), it did not mention about anything permanent. Then I re-attached it as server storage. Now the drive was re-labeled and it now comes up as "Storage Hard Drives" in the same area as the primary 500GB. But now, the size of the array is configured to 1.34TB.

Then I went over to the Shared Folders and clicked on each one as was able to check the duplicate box.

So, maybe I just do not understand how this Home Server works. I thought that yoiu added the 2nd drive like a Raid 1 storage device. But I guess this is not so ahrd and fast true anymore. If I understand this correctly me HS now has 1.34TB, but if I select a particular folder ans set it for duplication it will make sure that it gets duplicted on both drives. Correct? 

Yes.

Now, what about when a Home PC gets backed-up? It does not duplicate full backups right?

Correct.

Can it?

Not OOTB.  However, there is an add-in called BDBB that backs up the backup database.

OK, one more question: How do I backup the actual HS itself? In case of crash? For this shoudl I buy like a 2TB external HD, plug it in once a month, back up the whole server then take it off site?

While you can backup the shares (using the backup tool included in WHS), there is no supported way to back the OS itself.  If something should happen that requires re-installing the OS (i.e. your primary hard drive fails), you use Server Reinstallation (a special install mode that will re-integrate the storage pool into the new install).

I need to make sure the files in this thing are safe, even if the house burns down.

Thanks!

Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:39 AM
  • The console help files are a good place to start learning about your server. If you want more technical information, the Microsoft web site has a lot of useful information in the Windows Home Server section, including technical briefs on backups and server storage in the Product Resources and FAQ area.

To back up your shares, use the functionality built into Windows Home Server if you're okay with an occasional manual backup, or craft a custom method (using robocopy, richcopy, etc, or third party tools, plus custom scripting) if you'd like something more automated.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thursday, July 29, 2010 12:41 PM