Windows 7 Ultimate Ordered From eBay RRS feed

• Question

• I should have known better but I ordered Windows 7 Ultimate Retail from eBay a couple of days ago.

I was concerned with the price (£89.99) but after asking the seller some questions and being supplied with additional photographs he seemed to have a good reason to sell for this price (yes, with hindsight my eyes were blinkered by a seemingly good bargain).

His feedback is excellent (100% though score is under 200) and he is an eBay Top Rated Seller.

None of his previous sales were for software. This seems to be his first venture into this field.

Typically after it was dispatched I mentioned this to a friend.

He advised me it is likely to be counterfeit as there are some really good ones with 'Ingram Micro' labels on them.

The pictures of the one I have ordered do have the Ingram Micro label (which is a big part of what convinced me to buy them!).

As a result my friend suggested I visit here.

Having done so I am now certain it is going to be a very realistic counterfeit copy!

Luckily I did not order the 3-4 copies I was really after as I wanted to test the waters with this seller first.

If it is I will use the Product Identification service to send to Microsoft and hopefully get a genuine copy in return as a reward.

I am also going to ask the seller for a refund. He will not be getting the disk back to sell to some other victim so I may be unlucky here.

Anyway it is due to be delivered in the next couple of hours.

I plan to record the opening of the package and the COA details and use this as leverage to try and get a refund via eBay/PayPal if the seller will not oblige!

I will post further details once installed and I have the results of the MGA Diagnostics tool.

Thanks for reading.

• Edited by flakie99 Wednesday, September 1, 2010 9:11 AM bad spelling
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 9:10 AM

Answers

• The seller has refunded my PayPal account in full.

He has also removed the listing and has advsied me he has refunded the other buyers.

I have no proof of this but will examine his feedback over the next few days to see if anything develops.

I will ensure that the negative feedback I leave gives some credit to the seller for doing so.

I have sent the software (including manuals and packaging etc) to the Microsoft product ID team (detailed in the link below).

(http://www.microsoft.com/uk/licensing/homeuser/product-identification-service.mspx)

I have pointed to them to this post for further details but have supplied a covering letter.

With a bit of luck they will send me a legit copy of windows 7 as a reward for doing so.

I got off lightly here (very luckily) but feel sympathy for all the others who are going to have problems in the coming months (as the keys get blocked).

The quality of these is so realistic they are going to find it hard to believe they are counterfeit and they have been duped.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, September 1, 2010 7:03 PM
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 4:43 PM

All replies

• "flakie99" wrote in message news:5be08d09-731c-455f-b507-7d1aef951325...

I should have known better but I ordered Windows 7 Ultimate Retail from eBay a couple of days ago.

I was concerned with the price (£89.99) but after asking the seller some questions and being supplied with additional photographs he seemed to have a good reason to sell for this price (yes, with hindsight my eyes were blinkered by a seemingly good bargain).

His feedback is excellent (100% though score is under 200) and he is an eBay Top Rated Seller.

None of his previous sales were for software. This seems to be his first venture into this field.

Typically after it was dispatched I mentioned this to a friend.

He advised me it is likely to be counterfeit as there are some really good ones with 'Ingram Micro' labels on them.

The pictures of the one I have ordered do have the Ingram Micro label (which is a big part of what convinced me to buy them!).

As a result my friend suggested I visit here.

Having done so I am now certain it is going to be a very realistic counterfeit copy!

Luckily I did not order the 3-4 copies I was really after as I wanted to test the waters with this seller first.

If it is I will use the Product Identification service to send to Microsoft and hopefully get a genuine copy in return as a reward.

I am also going to ask the seller for a refund. He will not be getting the disk back to sell to some other victim so I may be unlucky here.

Anyway it is due to be delivered in the next couple of hours.

I plan to record the opening of the package and the COA details and use this as leverage to try and get a refund via eBay/PayPal if the seller will not oblige!

I will post further details once installed and I have the results of the MGA Diagnostics tool.

Thanks for reading.

Thanks for sharing!

At least you're forewarned, now.
    Keep us in the loop!

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 9:54 AM
  • Well, the parcel was delivered.

It looks exactly as it did in the pics the eBay seller sent me.

It is counterfeit however.

It was in shrink wrap and the only real clue on the outside was the COA on the outside of the box.

The metallic thread did not look to be woven in.

It appears to be just stuck under the holes in the COA.

It also looks to be a darker and blurrier red than a genuine COA.

Also the black font on the COA also looks to be blurrier (like the ink has bled into the paper a little).

Anyone looking at this would not for a second think it was counterfeit unless they knew exactly what to look for.

It is a very sophisticated forgery.

Again when opened up at first glance it all appears OK.

All the paperwork is included and looks good.

There are holograms on the DVD.

The only way to spot it is counterfeit is to compare it to a genuine one.

The colour of the DVD is not as bright as a genuine one and the holograms just don't seem to work as well as the genuine one.

The fonts on the product key are a slightly bigger font and again the font is blurrier than a genuine one.

When I tried to install the 64-bit DVD on to my laptop it just kept spinning around so I had to remove the disk.

The 32-bit looked to be going the same way but eventually did install.

It activated online with no issues.

I ran the MGA diagnostic tool and it gives a key for an MSDN licence (xxxxx-068).

The rearm count shows as 3 remaining which I assume indicates it has been installed a few times before.

I think if I had not been forewarned I would not have given this a second glance (even though I have genuine DVDs of both Professional and Ultimate).

I will send the whole lot of to Microsoft with a witness statement and then contact the seller for a refund before deciding if to let eBay know (I suspect they will show little interest).

I am giving the seller a *bit* of leeway as he *may* have been caught out himself (if how he explained to me how he got them is the truth).

I video recorded and took photographs of the unpacking process.

That is the unwrapping of the package and removing of the product key card and the beginning of the install.

Then the entering of the product key, the on-line activation and then the running of the MGA diagnostics tool was also video recorded.

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->

Validation Code: 0
    Cached Online Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0xc004f012
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-28V49-WTRJK-2PJKR
    Windows Product Key Hash: +smH1CrxC4480HZcw8mGp5H/9yo=
    Windows Product ID: 00426-068-0662716-86345
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 6.1.7600.2.00010100.0.0.001
    ID: {2A9B150A-B3CD-48F8-A55A-72DB04CE46F6}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Product Name: Windows 7 Ultimate
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings:
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->
    File Mismatch: C:\Windows\system32\wat\watadminsvc.exe[Hr = 0x80070003]
    File Mismatch: C:\Windows\system32\wat\npwatweb.dll[Hr = 0x80070003]
    File Mismatch: C:\Windows\system32\wat\watux.exe[Hr = 0x80070003]
    File Mismatch: C:\Windows\system32\wat\watweb.dll[Hr = 0x80070003]

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{2A9B150A-B3CD-48F8-A55A-72DB04CE46F6}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>6.1.7600.2.00010100.0.0.001</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-2PJKR</PKey><PID>00426-068-0662716-86345</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-4117726725-712681284-81859342</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Acer, inc.</Manufacturer><Model>TravelMate 3270 </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Acer   </Manufacturer><Version>v1.3508</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20070604000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>25BA3607018400FA</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>ACRSYS</OEMID><OEMTableID>ACRPRDCT</OEMTableID></OEM><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->
    Software licensing service version: 6.1.7600.16385

Name: Windows(R) 7, Ultimate edition
    Description: Windows Operating System - Windows(R) 7, RETAIL channel
    Activation ID: a0cde89c-3304-4157-b61c-c8ad785d1fad
    Application ID: 55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f
    Extended PID: 00426-00172-068-066271-00-2057-7600.0000-2442010
    Installation ID: 016552043063361516709425474606371522525092139473767283
    Processor Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88338
    Machine Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88339
    Use License URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88341
    Product Key Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88340
    Partial Product Key: 2PJKR
    License Status: Licensed
    Remaining Windows rearm count: 3
    Trusted time: 01/09/2010 12:43:46

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    HrOffline: 0x00000000
    HrOnline: N/A
    HealthStatus: 0x0000000000000000
    Event Time Stamp: N/A
    ActiveX: Not Registered - 0x80040154
    Admin Service: Not Registered - 0x80040154
    HealthStatus Bitmask Output:

HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: MAAAAAEAAgABAAIAAAABAAAAAgABAAEAJJQUrCzc6k5av9ootGqWuhYSBpwoTiqF

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes
    Windows marker version: 0x0
    OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: yes
    BIOS Information:
      ACPI Table Name    OEMID Value    OEMTableID Value
      APIC            INTEL         CALISTGA
      FACP            INTEL         CALISTGA
      HPET            INTEL         CALISTGA
      BOOT            PTLTD         $SBFTBL$
      MCFG            INTEL         CALISTGA
      APIC            INTEL         CALISTGA
      SLIC            ACRSYS        ACRPRDCT
      SSDT            PmRef        CpuPm

• Edited by flakie99 Wednesday, September 1, 2010 12:22 PM formatting
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 12:21 PM
  • Demand your money back.
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 1:03 PM
  • Demand your money back.

I have. He refused.

He insisted I send it back.

I explained it is being sent to the MS piracy team and I also could not send back as I would then be guilty of supplying counterfeit goods (not that i would send back anyway).

I have opened an incident in the eBay resolution centre (though as I refuse to send it back I doubt this will help).

Annoying that I cannot send negative feedback yet. 3 other have bought since me and one is remaining.

Lets see if he removes the listing or continues to sell.

I am just packing it up ready to send to the Microsoft Product ID Team.

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 1:53 PM
  • File a claim with paypal, do it before he disapears.
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 2:02 PM
  • The seller has refunded my PayPal account in full.

He has also removed the listing and has advsied me he has refunded the other buyers.

I have no proof of this but will examine his feedback over the next few days to see if anything develops.

I will ensure that the negative feedback I leave gives some credit to the seller for doing so.

I have sent the software (including manuals and packaging etc) to the Microsoft product ID team (detailed in the link below).

(http://www.microsoft.com/uk/licensing/homeuser/product-identification-service.mspx)

I have pointed to them to this post for further details but have supplied a covering letter.

With a bit of luck they will send me a legit copy of windows 7 as a reward for doing so.

I got off lightly here (very luckily) but feel sympathy for all the others who are going to have problems in the coming months (as the keys get blocked).

The quality of these is so realistic they are going to find it hard to believe they are counterfeit and they have been duped.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, September 1, 2010 7:03 PM
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 4:43 PM
  • Hi flakie99,

Thank you for sharing your story and thank you even more for submitting the Piracy Report with so much information.

Darin MS
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 7:03 PM
  • I believe I have purchased the same pirated copy of Windows 7 Ultimate as flakie99. Everything he described is just like the one I received from Ebay. Ingram Micro shrink-wrap, fuzzy documentation, COA that looks bled, non-woven seal. It looks very elaborate. I have a problem getting a refund from PayPal however. They advise me to keep all packaging and not to send it to Microsoft, but at the same time require a written letterhead from a reputable source confirming that this is a fake. Can anyone help me? I will create my own topic soon.
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 7:21 PM
  • No problem Darin.

On the plus (but probably more likley minus) side eBay have just emailed me staing they have removed the listing from the seller I bought form.

Good but as he had done this himself it is a bit useless unless they take more action.

It also means I cannot now leave him the negative feedback I had planned!

I have lodged a complaint with eBay about this as the seller gets away with little more than the electronic equivalent of a slapped wrist from eBay as it stands.

Last time I buy *anything* on eBay!

Thursday, September 2, 2010 8:31 PM
  • I also just purchased a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate from eBay.  I got the "Ingram Micro" copy with the fake COA.  The seller put down on his ad that he was in Australia, but when I got the shipment, it was shipped from China. 

I filed a complaint with Paypal and they said to ship it back to seller and give them a copy of the proof of delivery, within 10 days from the date of the email.  Of course, I got that email on a Saturday night and Monday was Labor Day so I only have 7 days to ship, get proof of delivery back, and give info to Paypal.  Paypal didnt give me much time to get my money back.  Also, Paypal gave me the address where to ship it back to and seller address is in Malaysia and USPS says at least 7-10 days to deliver back to Malaysia and who knows how long it'll take to get proof of deliver info. That's also assuming that the address of the seller in Malaysia is correct.

I have lodged a complaint with eBay as well.  There's not much these huge corporations will or can do.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 4:59 PM