Custom field - formula - value from lookup custom field RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I want to create a new custom field that calculates it's value based on a formula. The formula contains other custom fields that are lookup tables. So I want to use the value of another custom field that the user selected from a lookup table in the formula.

It looks like this is not possible. I cannot find any custom fields type that select their value from lookup tables in the list of "pick fields". Also if I try to add the field manually: [Field name], the formula is not calculated.

Is there a solution for this?

Thank you

Mathias

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 11:19 AM

Answers

• It would be helpful if you provided some screen shots of the formulas and other such items.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

• Marked as answer by MathiasVDA Wednesday, January 9, 2019 9:21 AM
    Tuesday, January 8, 2019 11:02 PM

All replies

• I was able to do this.  I have a field called Sponsor, and I created a new field called Sponsor2, where the formula = [Sponsor].   Both of these are Project Level ECFs.  I then created a task level ECF which again = [Sponsor], and again this worked.  I'm obviously copying text fields around and so don't have issues with data type conversions.

I've also previously taken text task level ECFs and used them in the project summary views - remember to do this you must check the flag Roll up to summary level and then set the Project ECF to equal the task level ECF field in the formula.

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 12:56 PM
  • Hello Ben, thank you for your fast reply. I must have missed a notification of your reply in my mailbox.

Anyway I don't think we are on the same level or else I'm missing something.

The ECF I want to use in the formula is linked to a lookup list. So it's not just a text or number field.

All ECF's in the formula are also on the same level, the project level. 

Tuesday, January 8, 2019 3:03 PM
  • It would be helpful if you provided some screen shots of the formulas and other such items.

• Marked as answer by MathiasVDA Wednesday, January 9, 2019 9:21 AM
    Tuesday, January 8, 2019 11:02 PM
  • Hello Ben,

It seems that I made some mistakes or was not patient enough. I managed to get it working with an ECF based on a lookup value in a formula. I needed to publish the project (not just save/close). Then the field got it's necessaryvalues and did the proper calculation. Thank you very much for your help!

Wednesday, January 9, 2019 9:21 AM
  • You're most welcome and I'm glad it's working for you.

Wednesday, January 9, 2019 9:45 AM