The Big News from Apple’s WWDC? The iHomeServer RRS feed

• General discussion

• The big news expected to be announced today by Steve Jobs at the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) (running June 9-13 in San Francisco) is not the 3G iPhone. Not a new OS, code named Snow Leopard. It’s Apple’s all new iHomeServer. This device is Apple’s first non OS X based Intel computer (it comes with Microsoft’s Windows Home Server) and is built around the compact yet powerful Mac Mini.

read more...

Monday, June 9, 2008 6:18 PM

All replies

• Monday, June 9, 2008 8:12 PM
  •  

Sweet!!!

Windows Homeserver sweet as APPLEpie

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:21 AM
  • Thanks for writing the article. It was very helpful.

I converted my mac mini this weekend to WHS and I love it. I had one laying around that I bought in late 2006 and couldn't figure out what to use for (too slow for anything besides email/web browsing). Sadly, I bought the low end mac mini (dual core 1.6GHz, 512MB ram/60GB HD) so I had to take a short trip to the local computer store to upgrade the hard drive ($80 for sata 160GB laptop drive and $29 for 1GB of used DDR2 SO-DIMM). Bought the OS from newegg.

I didn't need the drivers from the BootCamp disk (which I don't have - older OS on my mini). I just went straight to marvell.com and downloaded the driver to a USB drive.

The only hitch that I noted:

The mac mini wont boot up headless - without a monitor attached. Once it's booted, it runs the server fine. There are a couple of blogs around that talk about getting around this by shorting a couple of pinouts on the DVI out with an $0.89 resistor. Fortunately, when I bought my mac mini, I also bought the DVI-SVideo convertor at the Apple store (like $15). Attaching this to the back allows the mini to boot headless.

I hooked up a spare external 350GB USB drive for the time being, but I've ordered an iomega 1TB minimax stackable hard drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822186126).

Anyway. The whole setup is slick, quiet, and tiny. Given that you can pick up used minis on ebay for $100 - $150 (make sure it's intel based), I highly recommend it.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 12:42 AM
  • The big news expected to be announced today by Steve Jobs at the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) (running June 9-13 in San Francisco) is not the 3G iPhone. Not a new OS, code named Snow Leopard. It’s Apple’s all new iHomeServer. This device is Apple’s first non OS X based Intel computer (it comes with Microsoft’s Windows Home Server) and is built around the compact yet powerful Mac Mini.

read more...

Never trust a Microsoft fan to provide creativity or opinionated guesses to anything involving brilliance.
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 3:42 AM