Another Windows 7 suddenly not genuine error RRS feed

• Question

• I received a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate at the launch event (The New Efficiency I believe it was called) and have been running it successfully since launch. I installed the new kb971033 and now I suddenly have become a pirate. Yarr!

Anyhow, I've read through various other threads and have tried the slui.exe 3 and 4 options and still no success. Here are the results from the mgadiag file:

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0019.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid License
    Validation Code: 50

Cached Validation Code: 0xc004c4ab
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-X92GV-V7DCV-P4K27
    Windows Product Key Hash: aU2z1/fnhnLHmhBm699qYZT2E6s=
    Windows Product ID: 00426-OEM-8992662-00400
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 6.1.7600.2.00010100.0.0.001
    ID: {3740DFBF-6D25-40CA-8F8F-3DD19C078516}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Product Name: Windows 7 Ultimate
    Architecture: 0x00000009
    Build lab: 7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-604-645_025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{3740DFBF-6D25-40CA-8F8F-3DD19C078516}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0019.0</Version><OS>6.1.7600.2.00010100.0.0.001</OS><Architecture>x64</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-P4K27</PKey><PID>00426-OEM-8992662-00400</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2894773826-2994602441-3113452328</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>XFX68L</Manufacturer><Model>XFX Nforce 680i LT</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20080918000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>E3B83607018400FA</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>DELL  </OEMID><OEMTableID>QA09   </OEMTableID></OEM><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->
    Software licensing service version: 6.1.7600.16385

Name: Windows(R) 7, Ultimate edition
    Description: Windows Operating System - Windows(R) 7, OEM_SLP channel
    Activation ID: 7cfd4696-69a9-4af7-af36-ff3d12b6b6c8
    Application ID: 55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f
    Extended PID: 00426-00178-926-600400-02-1033-7600.0000-0562010
    Installation ID: 017115305975950330956223253585416786315820389562569946
    Processor Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88338
    Machine Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88339
    Use License URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88341
    Product Key Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88340
    Partial Product Key: P4K27
    License Status: Notification
    Notification Reason: 0xC004F200 (non-genuine).
    Remaining Windows rearm count: 3
    Trusted time: 2/25/2010 9:21:57 PM

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    HrOffline: 0x00000000
    HrOnline: 0xC004C4AB
    HealthStatus: PASS
    Event Time Stamp: 2:24:2010 08:05
    WAT Activex: Registered
    WAT Admin Service: Registered

HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: NgAAAAIAAgABAAIAAgACAAAAAQABAAEA6GHsT040+LKSAEwfRtw2ZEDP5o3eiArWV9CK48wx

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes
    Windows marker version: 0x20001
    OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: yes
    BIOS Information:
      ACPI Table Name OEMID Value OEMTableID Value
      APIC   XFX68L  NVDAACPI
      FACP   XFX68L  NVDAACPI
      HPET   XFX68L  NVDAACPI
      MCFG   XFX68L  NVDAACPI
      WDRT   XFX68L  NVDAACPI
      SLIC   DELL    QA09  

Any suggestions? I can't even find the number to call to attempt re-activation.

Friday, February 26, 2010 3:23 AM

Answers

• Hello HolySchmitt,

Sanmartin is correct,

The OEM SLP/COA SLP system are only used in Windows that come pre-installed in a computer built by a Large Manufacturer (such as Dell, HP and so on).

OEM SLP keys work by looking for a OEM Bios Flag only found in the Bios of computer's built by that Manufacturer.  If the proper flag is found, the OEM SLP key self-activates Windows, on it's own.

OEM Bios Flags are specific to the version of Windows and the Manufacturer so a Dell Win7 Bios Flag would not be the same as a HP Win7 Bios Flag and a Motherboard sold by itself would have no Bios Flag at all. However, you Diagnostic Report is showing a Bios Flag for a Dell.

So to summerize, we have a Home built PC with a version of Windows 7 that only comes Pre-Installed on a computer and which needs a OEM Bios Flag in order to be able to Activate. Home built PC do not have OEM Bios Flags, yet this PC appears to. And lastly, the OEM SLP key became Unactivated after Microsoft released a Update that makes Windows ignore over 70 different Activation Hacks.

This all suggests that your windows, somehow, had a OEM Bios Hack installed and the recent Microsoft Update disabled it. 

Generally, the way an OEM Bios Hack works is that will insert a OEM SLP key into Windows and then install a file of some sort that makes Windows think that the Proper Bios Flag is present on the motherboard, even when it is not.  This caused Windows to self-activate thus avoiding the need to Activate by contacting Microsoft's Activation Servers.  Microsoft recently released an update that makes Windows ignore 70+ different Activation Hacks, including OEM Bios Hacks.

Now, I could be wrong, but it all fits with what we see from your Diagnostic Report and what you have told us.

I can not tell if this Hack was part of the disk you received at the Launch Party (if it was sponsored by Microsoft, that is unlikely) or if it was installed on your PC at sometime later. I also can not tell who installed the hack.

Suggested Resolution:

I recommend comparing the Product Key that came with the disk that you got at the party with the OEM SLP Product Key listed in your Diagnostic Report (*****-*****-X92GV-V7DCV-P4K27). 

If the keys match that the disk is either a Dell OEM Recovery cd or a OEM Bios Hack installer.  You may want to contact the orginizer of that party and inform them of the problem.

If the keys don't match, then it's likely the Hack was installed over your Genuine copy of Windows (at a time and by a person: Unknown). In this case you would need to change out the Product key.  However, a Retail key will not work in OEM Software so you will likely need to reinstall using the Part disk and the key that came with it.

Thank you,
    Darin MS

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, February 26, 2010 7:59 PM
    Friday, February 26, 2010 7:59 PM

All replies

• Perhaps you mixed your OS from the Launch Event with any Windows version already present on your pc? "OEM_SLP" means that the key is used (and preactived = must not be activated by the user) by a Windows version that is preinstalled by the manufacturer of your system. So, it's impossible to acquire a OEM_SLP version as a disc from elsewhere, even if it comes directly from Microsoft.
    "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.” (Thomas J. Watson, Sr.)
    Friday, February 26, 2010 10:17 AM
  • This was a fresh install on a machine I built from scratch. I formatted all of the drives prior to install so it couldn't have been from legacy data.
    Friday, February 26, 2010 1:34 PM
  • If you built the machine from scratch, it remains mysterious why the Product Key and the matching SLIC belong to a DELL preactived system. Maybe your system was activated by the original (retail) key that came with your disc, so it ran without complaints, and someone tampered with the activation method in the meantime, so now it gives authentication errors.
    "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.” (Thomas J. Watson, Sr.)
    Friday, February 26, 2010 4:56 PM
  • Hello HolySchmitt,

Sanmartin is correct,

The OEM SLP/COA SLP system are only used in Windows that come pre-installed in a computer built by a Large Manufacturer (such as Dell, HP and so on).

OEM SLP keys work by looking for a OEM Bios Flag only found in the Bios of computer's built by that Manufacturer.  If the proper flag is found, the OEM SLP key self-activates Windows, on it's own.

OEM Bios Flags are specific to the version of Windows and the Manufacturer so a Dell Win7 Bios Flag would not be the same as a HP Win7 Bios Flag and a Motherboard sold by itself would have no Bios Flag at all. However, you Diagnostic Report is showing a Bios Flag for a Dell.

So to summerize, we have a Home built PC with a version of Windows 7 that only comes Pre-Installed on a computer and which needs a OEM Bios Flag in order to be able to Activate. Home built PC do not have OEM Bios Flags, yet this PC appears to. And lastly, the OEM SLP key became Unactivated after Microsoft released a Update that makes Windows ignore over 70 different Activation Hacks.

This all suggests that your windows, somehow, had a OEM Bios Hack installed and the recent Microsoft Update disabled it. 

Generally, the way an OEM Bios Hack works is that will insert a OEM SLP key into Windows and then install a file of some sort that makes Windows think that the Proper Bios Flag is present on the motherboard, even when it is not.  This caused Windows to self-activate thus avoiding the need to Activate by contacting Microsoft's Activation Servers.  Microsoft recently released an update that makes Windows ignore 70+ different Activation Hacks, including OEM Bios Hacks.

Now, I could be wrong, but it all fits with what we see from your Diagnostic Report and what you have told us.

I can not tell if this Hack was part of the disk you received at the Launch Party (if it was sponsored by Microsoft, that is unlikely) or if it was installed on your PC at sometime later. I also can not tell who installed the hack.

Suggested Resolution:

I recommend comparing the Product Key that came with the disk that you got at the party with the OEM SLP Product Key listed in your Diagnostic Report (*****-*****-X92GV-V7DCV-P4K27). 

If the keys match that the disk is either a Dell OEM Recovery cd or a OEM Bios Hack installer.  You may want to contact the orginizer of that party and inform them of the problem.

If the keys don't match, then it's likely the Hack was installed over your Genuine copy of Windows (at a time and by a person: Unknown). In this case you would need to change out the Product key.  However, a Retail key will not work in OEM Software so you will likely need to reinstall using the Part disk and the key that came with it.

Thank you,
    Darin MS

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, February 26, 2010 7:59 PM
    Friday, February 26, 2010 7:59 PM
  • I have the exact same problem with my NEW DELL. Bought end of Dec 2009. Activated and everything was fine. Now getting the "not genuine error". Been working with clueless Microsoft inital support people from India. Now my system is even worse off. At least before it said it was "activated", just not genuine. After MS support jacked around, now it says NOT activated, and This copy of Windows is not genuine.

Between this thread and another and a similar thread where I read:

"having the same problem, i purchased the product in Jan 2010 and activated it and  passed the Genuine validation on 4/2/2010 i went to MS site to get virtual PC to try out virtual server.... but got "This copy of Windows is not genuine" SO I called 866 530 6599 as the Message Box insisted they told me that their partner whom they gave some product keys were selling the product key ...so they disable all the product key associated with it.......... SO they are taking away my Product key while their partner are taking my money...  if this is as big as I think it is.. then  a big Lawsuit coming"

My "on the computer sticker product key" and the one showing in smlgr.vbs and the MGA Disgnstic tool MS Support sent me are two different numbers.

After screwing around for hours, MS support gave me a new product code, but that also failed. The guy from India support person finally gave up and said someone higher up the chain will call to try and repair.

This thread is good information, but I have a none fuctioning machine!

Darin, you appear to be the smart guy at MS! Please help me...

Sunday, April 11, 2010 5:27 PM
  • I have the exact same problem with my NEW DELL. Bought end of Dec 2009. Activated and everything was fine. Now getting the "not genuine error". Been working with clueless Microsoft inital support people from India. Now my system is even worse off. At least before it said it was "activated", just not genuine. After MS support jacked around, now it says NOT activated, and This copy of Windows is not genuine.

Between this thread and another and a similar thread where I read:

"having the same problem, i purchased the product in Jan 2010 and activated it and  passed the Genuine validation on 4/2/2010 i went to MS site to get virtual PC to try out virtual server.... but got "This copy of Windows is not genuine" SO I called 866 530 6599 as the Message Box insisted they told me that their partner whom they gave some product keys were selling the product key ...so they disable all the product key associated with it.......... SO they are taking away my Product key while their partner are taking my money...  if this is as big as I think it is.. then  a big Lawsuit coming"

My "on the computer sticker product key" and the one showing in smlgr.vbs and the MGA Disgnstic tool MS Support sent me are two different numbers.

After screwing around for hours, MS support gave me a new product code, but that also failed. The guy from India support person finally gave up and said someone higher up the chain will call to try and repair.

This thread is good information, but I have a none fuctioning machine!

Darin, you appear to be the smart guy at MS! Please help me...

This thread is marked answered and most people will ignore it. Start a new thread of your own, download MGAdiag and create a report then click the copy button and paste the results in your thread.

go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Sunday, April 11, 2010 6:32 PM
  • KatherineYH

This thread is a year old.  In any case, the problem was that his copy of Windows was counterfeit.  Notice when the computer was built.  2008.  That is too old to have a preinstalled (OEM SLP) copy of Windows 7.  No registry fix is going to change the fact that the user needed to replace this copy of Windows. 

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 1:20 PM
    Answerer
  • Just saw this poster on the answers forum responding to a year old thread post. Out of curiosity I went to the link. He is apparently trying to promote a paid support site

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 1:47 PM
    Answerer
  • I have a similar problem here, where my Windows7 key will not work after a Recovery and I am trying to insert the Product ID that I have.

If I go to Start > My Computer > Properties there is a notification at the bottom that I am already a registered user ? ?

Is there somewhere else I can re-enter the Product ID for my Toshiba laptop and activate it so I can access Microsoft downloads ? ?

My problem is that I cannot access any Microsoft downloads or updates as there is always a message that I am not connected to the internet ? ?

Thanks for any help -

Friday, September 16, 2011 10:35 AM
  • "noknojon" wrote in message news:da79272a-6e11-4f7f-988b-2a5700772445...

I have a similar problem here, where my Windows7 key will not work after a Recovery and I am trying to insert the Product ID that I have.

If I go to Start > My Computer > Properties there is a notification at the bottom that I am already a registered user ? ?

Is there somewhere else I can re-enter the Product ID for my Toshiba laptop and activate it so I can access Microsoft downloads ? ?

My problem is that I cannot access any Microsoft downloads or updates as there is always a message that I am not connected to the internet ? ?

Thanks for any help -

Despite the fact that yur problem looks the same, it’s unlikely to be so – please post your OWN problems in a NEW thread of your own, together with an MGADiag report
    To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
    - IN YOUR OWN THREAD, please

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, September 16, 2011 11:48 AM