Files only using 4KB? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having a strange issue with file sizes being reported as 4KB as Size on Disk (Disc spaced used) from WHS.

1GB VOBs for example will show the correct files size, but only 4KB as Size on disc.

The client PCs do not seem to mind and play/open the files just fine, but my Mediacenter extenders all complain that they can't play the media files affected.

As a test, a 750MB WMV that WHS reported as 4KB of disc space used would not play, I copied this file to another server and worked just fine afterwards, I copied it back to the WHS share and this time it reported the correct size and it played without problems.

My XP machines will copy the file just fine, my vista machines will display an error saying it's not accessible, the directory name is invalid.

Has anyone else experienced something like this?

It seems the problem started as I added a 2nd drive to increase capacity.

Monday, March 26, 2007 3:20 AM

Answers

• This is the design of Home Server... You are not supposed to be using the console for accessing files. Read the documentation :-)

The home server runs a special service that moves data around on your imported disks. It puts a 'Tombstone' or pointer file on the D:\ with reference to the volume where the file is actually stored. If you go into Computer Management -> Disk Management you will see multiple volumes but only two with drive letters.

Short answer, you can access your files using the share \\localhost\video for example. Will show the files fine.

The reason you can access if after you copy it back onto the server is because the D:\ is used as an initial storage point. Once the file is there the server decides where the file should be stored so that the disk space is used most efficiently and moves it.

Monday, March 26, 2007 4:40 AM
  • There is a known (and apparently fixed in a later build) bug that causes WHS to display the "size on disk" using the "tombstones" that point to the real files on other disks.
    Monday, March 26, 2007 11:16 AM

All replies

• This is the design of Home Server... You are not supposed to be using the console for accessing files. Read the documentation :-)

The home server runs a special service that moves data around on your imported disks. It puts a 'Tombstone' or pointer file on the D:\ with reference to the volume where the file is actually stored. If you go into Computer Management -> Disk Management you will see multiple volumes but only two with drive letters.

Short answer, you can access your files using the share \\localhost\video for example. Will show the files fine.

The reason you can access if after you copy it back onto the server is because the D:\ is used as an initial storage point. Once the file is there the server decides where the file should be stored so that the disk space is used most efficiently and moves it.

Monday, March 26, 2007 4:40 AM
  • Thanks for the response,

I was just reading about what happens when you add a new hard drive.

I never did access the files through the console, I've been avoiding access the server at all since according to the docs, this is supposed to be a headless appliance and been testing it as such.

The problem occurrs from within vista and an xbox 360 running the mediacenter extender.

I'm looking at the file properties from the unc share of the WHS (\\server\Movies) from a vista and an xp client.

The reported file size is correct, but the "Size on Disc" property is only 4KB, wich means these are just like you said, a pointer to the actual location of the data on the extended hard drive.

These files will open and play fine, on the client PCs, but the Extenders wont play them and vista actually throws a fit at me when I try to copy them. No problems with XP though.

**** EDIT

Ok, I feel dumb, all files regardless will show 4KB as size on disc since like you said, the service will move the files like it should and then creates the pointer.

It seems as if some applications do not like this, like the media center extenders and "My Movies". My movies will create a database on the WHS share and work properly untill the service creates the shadow and a pointer to it. then it says it can't find the database or it's corrupted. The extenders show a video error message once it does the same thing and vista doesn't let me copy them.

Monday, March 26, 2007 4:56 AM
  • There is a known (and apparently fixed in a later build) bug that causes WHS to display the "size on disk" using the "tombstones" that point to the real files on other disks.
    Monday, March 26, 2007 11:16 AM
  • From what I understand the moving of files between disks should be transparent. I have read that WHS is supposed to allow any device that supports SMB to connect. (Windows, Linux, MAC, a chipped XBOX, etc.)

If you are having problems with specific configurations, you should submit feedback on the Connect web site. Look for someone else that has had the same problem you are describing and add additional information to their report or if you can't find one create your own.

I'm running multiple versions of VISTA throughout the house and have not had a single problem with the drive extender service. All my files and shares have worked fine. I don't have an XBOX :-( to test the media extensions but they work fine to MP11 on the PC's. I'm pretty sure it uses the same version of media extensions as MP10 came with, this might have something to do with your problem.

What kind of database are you running? Is it a MS Access or some other DB program?

The files (once moved by the DEMigrator app) are actually stored on the different disks in a hidden folder on the root. e.g. D:\DE\shares. It will keep the existing folder structure and move the files around so that each disk has about the same percentage disk space free.

Monday, March 26, 2007 11:19 AM