Upgrade Vista to Win 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I am about to upgrade from Vista/OneCare to Win 7/MSE.

I am advised to backup all my documents etc ... prior to upgrade.

1. Does the OneCare BackUpRestore Tool work under Windows 7?
    __IF NOT
    2. Is there a backup tool that, after backup FROM Vista, WILL restore to Win 7?
    __IF NEITHER
    3. Has Microsoft has created a total BALLS-UP???

Please reassure me that Microsoft has considered these matters .... and that Testicular Integrity is assured!!

Regards,

Pat Garard
    Pat Garard, Melbourne Australia
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 9:30 AM

Answers

• The One Care backup restore tool does work in Windows 7.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 1:37 PM

All replies

• The One Care backup restore tool does work in Windows 7.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 1:37 PM
  • I'll add, Pat, that even though the tool will work, I am kind of a stickler about having multiple recovery options to avoid failure.

I'd backup the most important data to an external drive/DVDs, or another PC over the network.
    I'd also run the Windows Easy Transfer tool before wiping out the Vista machine and installing Windows 7.

I would then use the Windows Easy Transfer program to restore the data after the Win7 install and only use my OneCare backup and/or manual data copies if the Easy Transfer failed me.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 1:56 PM
  • Thanks Guys,

Testicular Salvation seems well assured.

It's 5:00 AM in Australia and, like Abu Ben Adam, I have just woken from a 'deep dream of peace'!!

The upgrade will be an in-place upgrade from Vista Home Premium to Win 7 Home Premium.

My Vista system is 'split' - C:\ drive is the System Disk and all User Data Files have been re-mapped to D:\ drive.

I have a small partition on C:\ drive running Windows 7 RC1.

Using Belt, Braces and Bootstraps, I thought that, to my 500GB USB drive I might:
    ___Do a OneCare backup
    ___Use WET just in case
    ___Use Win 7 RC1 to do System Images just so I can get back to where I started (it's not where I want to be but better than being in the poo!!)

Again - many thanks and regards,
    Pat Garard, Melbourne Australia
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 6:14 PM