none
Help with Virus/trojan/malware damage RRS feed

• Question

• Hello this is a nightmare!
    Please can anyone help, I'm stuck.

I like a fool have downloaded a malware/virus/spyware file and opened it on my Wired PC (main) it started by redirecting all web traffic through a 'Results5.google.com' site then just opening random websites I had no interest in visiting, I have a varied protection on the PC - AVG (free ed) Malwarebytes, superantispyware, XPrepair pro and winAso registry cleaner I also use ATF cleaner to delete cookies etc.
    .....BUT this results5 virus stopped me updating Mbam on malwarebytes so I deleted it and reinstalled it then scanned and it and superanti spyware found 16 threats - Trojans and Spyware which were removed I then rebooted and all seemed fine, web searches worked fine then after another reboot I cannot view any web pages or google anything on diagnosis my DNS is failing and now the laptop that I am posting this on is acting slow and tempramental I read something that the router is also infected but can't understand how when its passworded. Please help.

I have tried to include all details but they may be a bit sketchy so any other info needed will be posted promptley.

Thanks
    Carl.

Saturday, August 14, 2010 2:43 PM

Answers

• It would be impossible for me to try that as all webpages will not open.  The previous post was made on my laptop where as the virus was on the desktop.

In the last couple of hours I have fixed this issue by deleting all suspicious files and scanning my desktop with all available files. This got rid of the virus but left me unable to use the web.  After plenty of research I have found that giving myself a static IP address and manually entering the DNS server which I aquired from my ISP fixed the issue.  It turns out that the virus changes your DNS to a Russian server that directs your web traffic to there choice of website.

This virus is the hardest one to eliminate I have ever come accros and I think that all websites that this 'Results5.' company directs you to should be boycotted because of this infringment.

Thanks for the support I just hope this virus is eliminated from the web.

Monday, August 16, 2010 6:42 PM
  • If you believe your machine has become infected, we encourage you to use the Windows Live OneCare Safety scanner to check your PC for malware and to help remove them from your system. In addition, we encourage you to submit any suspicious files to the Microsoft Malware Protection Center (MMPC) team for analysis.

You can find out how to get free virus-related assistance from Microsoft by calling 1-866-PC Safety or by visiting this site: http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx
    SachinW Tier 2 Application Support Server and Tools Online Operations Team
    Monday, August 16, 2010 1:29 PM

All replies

• If you believe your machine has become infected, we encourage you to use the Windows Live OneCare Safety scanner to check your PC for malware and to help remove them from your system. In addition, we encourage you to submit any suspicious files to the Microsoft Malware Protection Center (MMPC) team for analysis.

You can find out how to get free virus-related assistance from Microsoft by calling 1-866-PC Safety or by visiting this site: http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx
    SachinW Tier 2 Application Support Server and Tools Online Operations Team
    Monday, August 16, 2010 1:29 PM
  • It would be impossible for me to try that as all webpages will not open.  The previous post was made on my laptop where as the virus was on the desktop.

In the last couple of hours I have fixed this issue by deleting all suspicious files and scanning my desktop with all available files. This got rid of the virus but left me unable to use the web.  After plenty of research I have found that giving myself a static IP address and manually entering the DNS server which I aquired from my ISP fixed the issue.  It turns out that the virus changes your DNS to a Russian server that directs your web traffic to there choice of website.

This virus is the hardest one to eliminate I have ever come accros and I think that all websites that this 'Results5.' company directs you to should be boycotted because of this infringment.

Thanks for the support I just hope this virus is eliminated from the web.

Monday, August 16, 2010 6:42 PM
  • I am trying to fix the exact same problem.  I see your solution in your last post, but I'm not as familiar with  changing router details as you.  If you can share any links with more details on how to do this, that would be great for me.  
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 11:44 PM