Home Connector reports no antivirus/spyware on backed up computers RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have 2 Windows 7 Ultimate computers at home (one 32-bit laptop and 1 64-bit PC), both of them have the FreeAVG 9.0.851 antivirus/antispyware installed and Windows 7 Security Center reports that it detects the FreeAVG ok.

However, the Windows Home Server connector software will constantly warn me about these computers not having antivirus/antispyweare installed on them.

Is there anything that can be done short of turning off the Network Heath Warning on the Connector software?  Thanks.

Monday, August 2, 2010 4:28 PM

Answers

• Hello, finally found a solution for this.  Looks like even though AVG is recognized by Windows 7 (eg. no alert message about no antivirus installed), it is not recognized for some odd reasons when Windows Home Server backup the machine.

The Solution:  Install and activate either Windows Defender or Windows Security Essential.  I did this on top of AVG and it does not seems to cause any issues for me.

Bigbear.

• Marked as answer by LBTBear Friday, August 13, 2010 8:35 PM
    Friday, August 13, 2010 8:34 PM

All replies

• Hello, I have about the same configuration, but using Security Essential from Microsoft for antivirus/antispyware. And every time I boot up one of my systems, I briefly get the warning that these systems have no antivirus installed. The warning last for a couple of minutes, and disapears when I start using my system.

No big deal, but the two problems might be related...

Thanks,

Francois

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 9:20 AM
  • Francois, your problem is due to the delayed start of the security center service. Change that from delayed to automatic.

There is a Security Essentials 2 (beta) to download at Microsoft Connect. You might try that also.
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 10:40 AM
  • Hello, thanks for the reply.  In my case, the warning will not away and stays on.  It is rather irritating, the only way for me to get rid of the message is to turn off the warning, which is not good since I want to warning about backups not being performed.

I wonder if installing Security Essential from Microsoft, in addition to the free AVG will cause and problems?

No one else have this problem?  If anyone else reads this and do not have this problem with Windows 7 PCs that are backed up, can you also tell me what antivirus program you're using?  Thanks.

Saturday, August 7, 2010 11:04 PM
  • Hello, thanks for the reply.  In my case, the warning will not away and stays on.  It is rather irritating, the only way for me to get rid of the message is to turn off the warning, which is not good since I want to warning about backups not being performed.

I wonder if installing Security Essential from Microsoft, in addition to the free AVG will cause and problems?

No one else have this problem?  If anyone else reads this and do not have this problem with Windows 7 PCs that are backed up, can you also tell me what antivirus program you're using?  Thanks.

Then AVG must not be reporting to the Security Center at all.  You can try contacting AVG and see what they have to say (maybe you need a new A/V program that supports 7).

The only way I can think of to stop that is to tell the OS to ignore all A/V warnings (which is not a good idea).  Otherwise, try switching A/Vs.  (And no, I would suggest you not use 2 A/Vs at the same time either.)

Saturday, August 7, 2010 11:40 PM
  • Hello, finally found a solution for this.  Looks like even though AVG is recognized by Windows 7 (eg. no alert message about no antivirus installed), it is not recognized for some odd reasons when Windows Home Server backup the machine.

The Solution:  Install and activate either Windows Defender or Windows Security Essential.  I did this on top of AVG and it does not seems to cause any issues for me.

Bigbear.

• Marked as answer by LBTBear Friday, August 13, 2010 8:35 PM
    Friday, August 13, 2010 8:34 PM
  • Here is a nice solution

an antivirus comparison site:

rebrand.ly/top-antivirus

Monday, June 19, 2017 8:41 AM